Which anesthetic should i have ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm due to have total knee replacement 16th October 2014. There are so many types of anaesthetic. Which type was best for you?

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

I had a spinal anaesthetic and was sedated. I found it great. Wasn't aware of anything, just woke up and it was all over. Was then able to chat to nurses in recovery room without feeling groggy. Also, an added bonus was the feeling didn't return for a few hours so didn't feel pain in my leg at first. The anaesthetist discussed it with me before the op so I was able to make an informed decision. Good luck.

Jen 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

In Canada they do an epidural and a light sensation.  It was good.  I drifted in and out bad the surgery went fast.  I could hear things going on but don't remember too much.  Good luck, I think the big thing is to realize how long the recovery can be and to be patience.  In the end the outcome will be worth it.  It's so nice to not have pain at night from arthritis.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The spinal block with mild sedative. I didn't know a thing untilI woke up  in the ward but there was none of the post general tiredness I would normally have.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was worried about having an epidural not having had one before but it didn't hurt at all, no more than having a blood test. I also had sedation, the anaesthist said " I'm just going to inject a double gin and tonic" ! Slept through the whole thing. Op. took an hour and a half and was a partial replacement. I also had a catheter for the first 24 hours, put in when I was asleep but not at all painfull when it was removed and saved all the bother of getting to the loo and I could have loads of cups of tea without worrying! Spent 2 hours in the recovery room, then the first night in step down with 3 others, then my own room for one night then home! I found the worst bit was feeling nauseous after the morphine but if you tell them they'll give you something to stop this. Hope it goes well, try not to worry, surgeons are very skilled these days.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just had my TKR 4 days ago. I had a epidural with some other sedation.  The last thing I remember was them putting the oxygen mask on my face. Next thing it's an hour and a half later and I'm wide awake in recovery.  I was not groggy at all. Alert and talking to everyone attending to me.  I was scared never having an epidural before but it was nothing really. Also my doctor made me wear a sea sick patch behind the ear for nausea it must have helped. I did not have any.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

i had epidural when i had double prolapse op and although the epidural didnt hurt, when i woke up from anaesthetic i had pins and needles in my feet all night and couldnt sleep 

did anyone else have this 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had little tingling in my toes afterwards but not pins and needles. As far as sleeping goes I slept no problembut only for about 4 hours because remember your not going to be able to turn and make yourself comfortable. your going to be flat on your back legs straight out.  I had a 20 degree bend in my knee before surgery so I hadn't slept with my legs straight out for a long time. I just think it was so much easier with the epidural and the double tequila cocktail of whatever else they gave me. It's so nice to wake up and know where you are not groggy.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

spinal every time ,no contest for me , no sickness ,no drousieness , done it twice ,found i was more awake with the 2nd but really couldnt care what was going on , so relaxed its not true , when you get back to the ward you feel great till the pain hits in them you know your on the good side of thingd and the only way is up ,good luck 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

tes i did both times , the first time i had more and the second i was given less and was in and out , seeing my leg up in the air and laughing cause it wasnt mine lol , but to be honest if i had to do it again i would opt out of the sedative ,you cant see any thing and you can use head phones , but i liked the fact that i was more with it ,even though you cant feel any thing , maybe im too nosey lol.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up