which (if any) antidepressants

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i was looking for some advice about anti depressants. I don't know anything about them other than some friends saying that some can initially make you feel suicidal. Could anyone tell me about their experiences with antidepressants and which ones helped/had fewer side effects.

p.s I am already seeing a therapist.

Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peb

How old are you? and why you want to go on these tabelts? 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Is your therapist able to prescribe meds? They will know best what could suit you. However, as i have experienced, it is trial and error and not one pill cures all.

Quite often you would be started on an SSRI such as prozac or citalopram. I tried these and weren't for me. I have been moved to an SNRI, a newer type of drug , called Venlafaxine. I have used this in the past to varrying affect

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Resoning,

I have tried several SSRI's which haven't helped and made me gain weight so I came off them in January.  I have to say, though, that I am really suffering and cry all the time. 

I think my doc., mentioned that pill.  Have you gained weight since taking it?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Only actually been on it this time around 2 days so hope not lol.

Seriously, i have been on it before and i did put on a bit of weight, but can be controlled by diet so not really an issue, certainly wasnt so bad that i wouldn't take it

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

There are some anti depressants that won't be prescribed to people under 18. Are you that depressed that you feel you need something. 

Mirtazapine is one that people find they put on weight with. It's meant to give you an appetite if you are not eating properly which often happens with depression. Are you in the uk? 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I always find I feel terrible before anti depressants kick in. With the nature of depression it's hard to tell what's causing this. Could be the tablets could be the illness. If there's anything bothering you when starting a new med always speak to whoever has prescribed them. Personally they tend to make me feel worse whilst my head and body are getting used to them then everything starts to feel lighter and less scary, you will know if they are working or not when this happens.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I actually think you have to have faith in the professional/professionals who is/are assessing what you may/may not need to consider and i say consider because whatever else is going on you need to know that you should ultimately have a say in a raft of options available to you if you get properly signposted to what they maybe.

If you have been diagnosed with depression and medication has been dicussed with you there are a raft of them available as some of the other posts suggest but,common side effects of SSRI's are initially,dry mouth,dizzyness,headaches plus more that can take 4-8wks to get over before benefits of taking them kick in.This can be a scary time as you may have a heightened sense of awareness that becomes quite powerful.Most important is having a person/people who you can relie on for ongoing support as it can be a lonely/solitary time as sleep patterns can take a while to settle too.All of this makes people stop taking them quite quickly if side effects are terrible and as said it is about finding the right one for you.make appt after 2 wks of starting with the prescriber to discuss how its going.Alternatively,look up mindfulness,book that might be helpful maybe depressive illness ,curse of the strong by dr tim cantopher,cbt,bottom line is you have to be proactive in deciding what you want out of life and how to go about making that life achievable,therapist will be supportive with that ,hopefully.Lots of luck Lynne

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up