Which medication should I try now?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have suffered with anxiety/depression for many years and have had many different medications. This is because I either get terrible side effects or they just don't work. I was changed from Sertraline 150mgs to Mertazapine 15mgs due to Sertraline stopping working and now find the Mertazapine is not helping whatsoever. I feel depressed, and very bad tempered. Back at docs next week after halving dose which initially reduced grogginess and anger, but now feel I might aswell be on nothing. The question is what next? I must have been on most of available meds with not much luck and now I'm tired of the whole thing sad

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

which meds have you tired? Have you gave them all plenty of time to work?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Been on mert for 3 months, Sertraline for a good few years and citalopram for a couple of years. Also been on fluoxetine, paroxetine, dothiapin, quetiapine etc etc. Was not referred to psychiatrist. Last saw one abt. 3 years ago. Tried to see gp to discuss dosage but he's away so that's when I decreased dose simply because I was like a zombie. In next week but may ask for re-referral. In all honesty, following my last episode I thought he would increase dose after 2 weeks, but because my mood had lifted slightly he kept me on 15 mgs until review in 6-8 weeks. During that time my mood has changed. I've not been with this doc for long and they seem to do things slightly differently than last docs. Btw, never tried Effexor . Thanks for your reply smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Always worth a shot trying Effexor (venlefaxine), i tried it, never worked for me, but has great stories elsewhere about it.

I recently changed docs too, and they are changing my treatment, sometimes a new doc unlocks whole new ways of treating you so don't give up

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's so hard when your put on a dosage then you get worse. It's a long time to wait to see your doctor again. I would go back sooner and ask for a referral to see a psychatrist again.  Depression can be so hard to treat. Horrible illness!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think I will ask for a referral. It is a horrible illness and the problems with meds add another negative dimension on top of the illness itself. It's extremely tiring and I just want to feel reasonably ok at the very least. I use mindfulness and self help but everything is such a drag at the moment it's like I'm a robot just doing what has to be done. I hate it. Also, I feel like there's such a strain on the NHS nowadays, you get referred to psychy, seen and discharged very quickly and as a result you end up in and out of the service with no continuation of care. After my last episode, they had no reference to my notes even though I've been in and out of the service for over 10 years.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's such a strain to keep going isn't it. Your right when you say you feel like a robot. Everything is so hard to do. It's been in the news about no money for mental health.  You have to wait so long to see a psychatrist.  When I was told it could be 6 weeks wait I couldn't believe it. Then another wait while the meds get in your system. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi 

I have been on every anti depressant under the sun and nothing ever worked for me all I ever got was side effects that in the end made me so ill that I had to pack in my job. Some people are medication resistant and that's certianly true in my case. I have recently come of mine and started to feel better now, I still feel depressed but I can cope with that, what I can't cope with us being depressed and having the most awful side effects. I am trying more healthy ways to deal with it now like exercise which I could never do on meds as was so exausted all the time but now I have my energy back it's no problem. I am taking vitamin B12 and that helps I think. After 30 years of meds I have had enough and anyway taking ADs over a long period of time has an adverse affect on your health. They are good for some people short term I suppose and can help you through a difficult patch. As for me though I'm done with putting chemicals into my body. Putting these drugs in you system for all this time can't be good for you. Also doctors say they are not addictive well that's rubbish because when I came off mine I suffered the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms. Taking these drugs long term is not good and just turn you into a zombie and it's not surprising as they are a phyco active drug just the same as cocaine heroine ect, just look at the state of someone that has used them kind of drugs for 30 years, it's no wonder we end up like zombies just like them. Some people may disagree with me about this but I'm just relating to my experience and also what I have learnt over the years through the massive amount of reasurch I have done

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Michael.  I have been thinking about that alot lately. It's sometimes hard to pick out which is the side effect and which is the depression. Either way it's a complete pain and very wearing sad
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am on mirtz and venlafaxine which is not yet working at all. Have you tried venlafaxine.  There are people on here who like and hate both of these meds. Have you been referred to a psychatrist to help sort out the medication? 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Also you are on the lowest dose of mirtz. It can go up to 30 and 45mg. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up