White blood cells high

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone I went for my pre op on Tuesday and got a date for my surgery TKR then today I got a phone call from hospital asking me to go and have my bloods done again she said the ones I had done Tuesday came back with white cells high just wondering if anyone else as had this problem and could it stop the surgery which I should have on the 6th October I have not had cold or any infection 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi-

Increase white counts typically increase with infection of some sort or trauma. Having said that the question is how elevated is the count? They won't do surgery if in fact you have an infection but if you do I think you have ample time to start on a 10 day course of antibiotics. I had to do this for an urinary tract infection pre op.

Post op it is very normal for white counts to increase due to the body's reaction to the procedure. My count went up to 16000 post op and second day post op it was down to 11000.

FYI normal range is 5000-10000.

I would ask for the white count number. Especially since you have no symptoms of an infection.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you Nonna I will ask on Monday the only thing I can think of for the past 2 weeks I have been in terrible pain with my back and had to have what he called sciatica roots put back which when he did it I nearly went through the roof it as really bruised but that's the only thing I can put it down to and it was very traumatic 

• Posted

Oh wow! Can't imagine that kind of pain. I guess that trauma could increase your white count. Good to ask. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Cath,

Sorry I have no experience of this but I'm sure you'll get feedback from the great people on this forum.

Best wishes,

Alan

• Posted

Well went for my bloods done again yesterday and today I phoned the hospital and everything back to normal 😀😀so operation to go ahead on the 6th thanks everyone xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.