Why am I so depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Feel so depressed don't know how long I can take this cant function just in bed all the time on antidepressants but their not helping just want to end it all

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine

How long have you been on antidepressants for? They can take some time to start working and sometimes they can make you feel worse before you start to feel better.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for late reply, I have been on mirtazipine for nearly 5wks, 1st wk low dose then up to 45mg. I was on seroxat before these and stopped them abruptly so I don't know if it's a combination of being on a new tablet and suddenly stopping another which has made me feel horrendous, I have been suicidal and attempted it which put me in hospital in February. I still feel very low. I just feel numb and dread every day. Xx
    • Posted

Hi elaine, I would suggest giving it a bit more of a chance if you can. It did take a while for me to start feeling better, I would say at least 4 to 5 weeks. I've been on them for nearly 4 months now and I do feel so much better. I was very bad also in the beginning, but it has been worth the wait to feel so much better.

Best wishes, I hope you start to feel better soon smile xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I was at an all time low a few years now, I had pills that made me so out of it I would just sit there and have no motivation at all. After a few minutes I thought what the hell am I doing to myself, I got up and thought right I have so much to live for  my children, grandchildren, family and friends. So I got dressed and set to a new start which I've never looked back. 

You may feel like ending it all, but you have so much more to give to others, there's a big world out there for living xx

• Posted

Hi 

thanks for your reply, I ended up in hospital in jan but said I didn't want to stay so went home next day, I was getting worse in the house just not doing anything so went back in for four days then out again, my third admission in February I took an overdose. I was in for 1week then asked to go home, I think all the time I was denying that I needed help. I was  already on seroxat but they started me on mirtazipine alongside, I was so numb and confused I just stopped the seroxat abruptly, only to stupidly take a handful of seroxat a few days later because I felt so low. From then things have been horrendous, I've had days of crying all the time severe anxiety and not going out of the house. I'm not eating now because I just don't want to live. I've been on mirtazipine about 4wks, first week low dose because I also stopped it in march thinking negative about tabs. I have been stubborn with the help I have been receiving  and thinking nothing will help me. I am so horrible towards everyone and have nasty and horrible thoughts, when I have been well I always put myself down. I have suffered bouts of depression all my life, this seems to be the worst, I'm 49 and can't see a future. Xx

• Posted

I think you need to as your doctor to see mental health team, no not because I think you need be locked up, but you need the right meds and that's the way to go. My granddaughter hears voices and depression along with other things and she lives with me and she is 21 and is a lot better now.
  • Posted

I have been in that awful, empty place, though have now moved on. One thing that helped to stop me killing myself was thinking about how my death would affect my mother, though at my worst even that didn't help. I know it feels like you will never feel any better, but you will. Tell those close to you how you feel, and they can help you stay safe. I'm sure there are people who love you, and want to help you, even if you feel that you are completely unlovable - I know how that feels too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.