Why did my dentist miss this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A month ago I got a slight niggly pain in my upper right teeth. I didn't know which tooth it was. Saw my dentist who did a few tests, couldn't find anything wrong and told me it would go away. It did then came back. Last week I saw him again and this time he took an x-ray and still couldn't find anything. By yesterday I was getting desperate as I go on holiday on Saturday so I rang a private surgery and they gave me an emergency appointment this afternoon. The dentist pinpointed the tooth and the problem within 10 mins. She said the x ray she took showed a small amount of pathology and the ethyl chloride test had no effect on this tooth and it sent me through the roof on the nearby teeth. Result was she is sure I'll be fine on my holiday as there is no abscess and most of the time there's no pain. She has given me a supply of penicillin just in case and I'm booked in for a root canal on my return. My question is how did my original dentist not see this? Surely it would have shown up on the x rays just a week before?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That's a good question and I would be asking your dentist that very question. After he's done doing the root canal of course. But I imagine anyone can miss something on an X-ray.

• Posted

They make mistakes. They do. They do not mean too but they mess up sometimes. All doctors do. Time to switch dentist though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.