Why do I always feel like I'm going to die?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, again.

Yesterday I went back to the ER because I had bad anxiety that got worse by the minute. They gave me xanax and it helped tons. I kept telling the doctor I felt like I was going to die so they sent me for further test (blood work) and everything came back good. I went the day before and got an EKG and it came back normal, went the day before that and got blood work to sew if I had blood clots and it came back normal.

Today for most of the day, I felt great. Now I just feel like I'm going to die. I feel dizzy, like I'm forgetting how to spell things, when I cough my head hurts, and I feel like I can't breathe and I'm scared it's a stroke.

I don't want to go back to the ER because I was assured I was healthy and it's all anxiety and because I've went several times already but I'm scared it's a stroke that I'm having.

I'm 21, healthy for the most part, a bit overweight. Have been diagnosed with health anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD, and moderate depression. I am going to therapy and will start CBT this Friday coming up.

I occasionally feel like I died and this is my after life, in other words, like nothing is real and it's all a dream. It only happens when I'm having bad anxiety, like right now.

But what if what I'm feeling is a stroke? I'm not hyperventilating for me to feel dizzy, it just happened suddenly. I'm so scared, what do I do????

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey

Do you have slurred speech, weakness on one side where u can't hold your arm up? Headache? I'm sure your not having a stroke it'll be your anxiety playing up, I've been through it many times, ur mind can convince you of anything if you want it to, I need to tell yourself you are not going to let this anxiety bully u and do sumit to take your mind off it x

• Posted

Hello, Lynda.

No slurred speech, no weakness on one side and I DID have a headache but I no longer have it. It did hurt when I would cough, though. But I'm feeling much better now. I'm sure if it was a stroke I'd be dead by now... at least I think.

• Posted

I have the same problem. I feel like I live at the ER. I have been in and out if the hospital for years. They have done a lot if tests,blood work,ejg, sonograms of my heart, and it comes back normal. Anxiety and stress can wreake havoc on your body! I feel dizzy like I'm gonna pass out. And I think I'm gonna die all the time. You gotta learn what triggers it. Honestly God is really what helps me through it!
    • Posted

Hello, akincaid.

I've been in the ER so many times for the past 6 months. Different ones and they never find anything.

I just started feeling the inside of my head tingling and now my head hurts, of course I'm scared now. My chest is hurting and I'm feeling short of breathe. Really think I'm probably having a stroke.

• Posted

This site tends to block posts with links, so google "How to Stop Anxiety Dizziness « Calm Clinic" and read the article.
  • Posted

Those are typical symptoms of a panic attack. When this is happening, try something totally distracting like watching a video on youtube, text someone, go for a walk or whatever distracts you. If the symptoms go away when you're distracted and not thinking about how you feel, you'll know it's just anxiety. 
    • Posted

Hello, mary.

Those symptoms left but I have new ones now.

Jaw pain, headache, I feel half of my face odd and it all started with a little tingling in my head which then made my head hurt and then my chest. I no longer have the chest pain but I'm really freaking out.

I don't know what to do.

• Posted

You need to stay calm. I have been dealing with the same thing for 7 years! In and out of ER I live at the hospital! Trust me I know what your going through. I have to do something to feel better. Reading helps or watching a funny movie or show. Or talking to someone. That's the best thing.
    • Posted

Now I think I had a stroke. My left arm feels weak. I can still move it though. I asked someone and they said maybe it was a small stroke now I'm scared I'm gonna go to sleep and die.
    • Posted

If it was a stroke, you would've had it by now. And you would have drooping face, weakness, speech difficulty. It's very rare for someone your age to have a stroke. The more you focus on your symptoms, the more adrenaline you release, which causes you more symptoms. Try to find something to distract yourself so you aren't thiking about how you feel. 
    • Posted

My left arm does feel weak, actually my whole left side does. Should I go to the ER?
    • Posted

Can you raise both your arms in the air at all?
    • Posted

Strokes generally happen quickly, not in the course of 3 hours. But if you really feel weak on one side and don't think it's in your head, then you should go to ER just to be safe. 
    • Posted

I can raise and move both of my arms. I feel it weak but can move them. Can it still be a stroke? I feel like I'm forgetting stuff... and dizzy
    • Posted

Well, the test for stroke is if you raise both arms, and one drifts back down or doesn't raise at all, it's a stroke. Since you are able to raise both of them, it's probably just your mind playing tricks on you because you keep thinking about strokes. I would just get away from the computer and try doing something that takes your mind off yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.