Why do I always feel like I'm going to die?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, again.

Yesterday I went back to the ER because I had bad anxiety that got worse by the minute. They gave me xanax and it helped tons. I kept telling the doctor I felt like I was going to die so they sent me for further test (blood work) and everything came back good. I went the day before and got an EKG and it came back normal, went the day before that and got blood work to sew if I had blood clots and it came back normal.

Today for most of the day, I felt great. Now I just feel like I'm going to die. I feel dizzy, like I'm forgetting how to spell things, when I cough my head hurts, and I feel like I can't breathe and I'm scared it's a stroke.

I don't want to go back to the ER because I was assured I was healthy and it's all anxiety and because I've went several times already but I'm scared it's a stroke that I'm having.

I'm 21, healthy for the most part, a bit overweight. Have been diagnosed with health anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD, and moderate depression. I am going to therapy and will start CBT this Friday coming up.

I occasionally feel like I died and this is my after life, in other words, like nothing is real and it's all a dream. It only happens when I'm having bad anxiety, like right now.

But what if what I'm feeling is a stroke? I'm not hyperventilating for me to feel dizzy, it just happened suddenly. I'm so scared, what do I do????

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you had had a stroke, you wouldn't be posting on the forum. The symptoms you are discribing are all indicative of a panic attack.
  • Posted

I'll so sorry u are feeling this way I feel like this allot but if it was a stroke we would be dead but we are not breath read something talk yourself down that's what I do I try tell myself to stop acting up your going to be fine lol it works most the time hope u ell better
  • Posted

Hi, HeyZeidy. You are totally stuck in a rut: you really believe you have a physical illness of some sort. You don't. The checks prove it. The professional people you've consulted say you're okay. Believe it - be happy. Try hard, then try hard again. Then try hard again !! Work on it. Believe it. You have my sympathy.
  • Posted

Omg you sound exactly like me! I'm 22 and I'm always running to the ER because I think I'm dying. What helps me is writing down the reasons I am scared like for example a stroke would be something you write down and make a list. Next to the things that scare you, write down if you can control it or not. Like let's say you have anxiety because of the hotel you need to book then that would be something you can control so you would simply book that hotel. If its health related, we cannot control those things unless we lived unhealthy lifestyles. Only God truly knows when its our time to go. That has helped me a lot too. I swear I always feel like I'm dying and then I start to sweat, my heart skips beats, my heart pounds and races, I can't calm down and I have tons of anxiety. I think you may want to consider depression. People like you and I who focus on the negative things in life are most likely depressed. I know I am. I have three kids under the age of 3 and I'm only 22 lol. Try getting on an anti depressant and anxiety meds until the anti depressant kicks in and maybe get some counseling. Talking to someone may help too because they may actually get to the root of your problem and thats the first step to fixing it. Good luck and please know that you're not alone in always thinking you're dying!

Paige Liller

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.