Why do i do this to myself?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Is it just me that immediately thinks the worse when i get any sort of symptom??

Its driving me crazy, all these rash thoughts running through my head.

Since last Monday i have had random stomach / abdominal pains and they seem to getting worse and my thoughts are running wild, I don't know why i do this to myself mad.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I felt the same way and still do sometimes when I started getting my anxiety all started with tummy troubles so went docs done loads tests and came back normal but I still worry all the time when I get something wrong I think the worse have u had tests done 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, 

i have had stool & urine tests done.

what tests did you have done?

• Posted

I know it’s scary to feel that way..

I always advise people to have a check up with their doctor when they have new symptoms that don’t seem to go away. It could be anxiety related but you’ll have peace of mind following through with your doctor. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the more anxious you get, the worse your symptoms can be. When you are anxious, that sends a message to your brain that you are “in trouble” and your brain sends out adrenaline which can increase symptoms.

I am a veteran of thinking the worst case and I know what you’re going through. But believe me, that  kind of thinking can take over and then everything gets worse with your symptoms.  Don’t let fear and negative thoughts take you over! There is a method called mindfulness that is taught all over the world and it’s very effective. For example, when you get a negative or scary thought, do not try to fight it off because it will get worse. Any relaxed manner acknowledge the thought. Let it be there for a few seconds. You be the observer of that thought,  even if it’s scary or negative. . Then, In a calm way imagine that thought floating off and dissolving. Take long slow deep breath‘s for relaxing. 

you see, your thoughts are not a part of you. They are separate and fleeting all day long. Negative thoughts are not based on fact or reality. You are in control of them and you can let them go. Do this every time you get a negative thought and eventually your mind will do it automatically for you.

It took me a long time to realize this but I’m glad I finally did. My thoughts were torturing me for a long time.

Go to YouTube and listen to some great audio meditations for overthinking, anxiety, depression, sleep, etc. many of these are mindfulness meditation‘s. I do this every night and it totally relaxes my mind, body and symptoms. There is one called detachment from overthinking. Many more to choose from! 

when you are feeling a bit anxious, listen to a short audio that helps you get back in control. It’s called mindfulness breathing guided meditation 10 minutes. There’s also a book called mindfulness that many people are reading on this site. It teaches you how to gain back your peace of mind and control anxiety and negative thinking. 

so basically, we have a choice to make. We can choose to let fear and negative thinking control us and feel miserable or we can choose to be the one in control. I do hope you feel better soon! You can do this. 😁??

• Posted

Ryan,

I share your pain.  I don’t know how old you are but I am 60 and my health anxiety has gotten much worse now that I am older.  Jan gave you great advise in her response and I try very hard to do many of those suggestions because they do work, however, in my current round with anxiety, no sooner do I get over one health issue something else pops up and I haven’t been able to pull myself together from the last episode and I am on to a new one.  Currently I am getting over the flu and of course I lose my smell and taste.  It’s been days... anxiety takes over I go on the internet and I see it can be a symptom of flu and RARELY the senses do not return.  Well that was it for me and there goes the thoughts and fear and anguish.  

It is torture what we do to ourselves.  I think we just have to fight it as hard as we can when it happens to us.... the reality is our fears are not going to change the outcome so why go there till we know for sure!!  Just hang in there, know you are not alone and fight best you can.... and always reach out it helps to know there are others like yourself!!  Linda

• Posted

You are so right  Linda. I am very close to you in age and I did not think at my age I would have such anxiety anymore. It has gotten a lot better but it was a total change of my mindset that did it.

No  more do I hang onto the “what if“ thinking. It serves no good and it just tears us down even more. Now my thinking is if something is going to go wrong in the future, then I will deal with it at that time. Life is too short to waste on fears about the future that doesn’t exist yet . I don’t take life is seriously as I did in the past and I enjoy the simple things in life that make me laugh and smile. Every day gone is a day we can We cannot get back . 

I also have a little journal of things that I am grateful for and I read it every morning. I read affirmations on faith, and the bigger purpose of this life. 

it really gives me a lot of peace of mind 

• Posted

Yes Jan, I totally agree.  I have been working with an anxiety/depression/ holistic life coach and she changed my life by changing my mindset.  And let me tell you, 2017 was one of the best years of my life!! And I was anxiety free.  I thought I finally figured it out.  But the beginning of 2018 came and so did a health issue, then another and now this flu stuff and it got my thinking rolling backwards.  I do appreciate inspiring messages such as yours and I thank you for taking the time to write.  Tell me, do you have health  anxiety?  If you do I would love to know how getting older has lessened it for you... it has increased it for me!!  Thanks Linda 
  • Posted

Went to the doctors she suggested doing 2 stool tests, the first one has come back all clear still awaiting the results of the second one.

Since then i have been back to the doctors as i believe the symptoms are getting worse (probably through worrying) and i now have this strange feeling under the bottom of my left rib in my back, almost like something inside me is swollen its hard to describe. they did a urine test to check for any problems with the kidneys that was also all clear, both doctors had a good feel of my abdomen, stomach, spleen and said all feels normal and no inflammation.

could this all just be in my head? its getting frustrating now just want to get on with my life as normal.

• Posted

it is all right to be concerned.. even negative thoughts shall sometimes come.

but can our thought process be calm , without adversely affecting our brain & body biological processes. 

it is an art we have to learn.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.