Why do I feel this way?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a teen who's been struggling with depression for a while now, and I've noticed some things over the years that I just don't understand. Why am I so hypersensitive but only towards my father? It's like his words are bullets, and whenever he's in another room and I know he's talking about me, I eavesdrop knowing full well that it'll hurt me deeply. And it does. It always does. I know that he doesn't mean the things he says but they hurt so much. Why?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Are you sure that you are hypersensitive to your father? If he says hurtful things to you and you over hear him saying things about you how can that be you being overly sensitive? I'm thinking you have a reason to be hurt! 

I feel sad about you being hurt by your father. It hurts me for you and I wonder why you think that he doesn't mean what he says. I surely don't want to hurt you more but in my case until I faced things the way they were I could not protect myself. To make decisions in my best interest. Please keep writing us because I promise you we care about you. Diane. P

• Posted

Life is so complicated, particularly as a teen. We’re you and your father close? If you were, then perhaps this is why it hurts when he say something negative things about you. Father and daughter relationships can be close, but also quite complex. Perhaps he like many other fathers of teen daughters is struggling with you growing up? Can you talk to him, ask him why he says these things about you? Or could you talk to someone else who could approach him on your behalf? I think your father should know, his comments are hurtful and they should stop ....good luck. Julia
  • Posted

Hi again. I really liked what Julia said to you it was a kind approach to the situation and what could be a gentle approach to your father on your behalf for you. Hope you think about that. I know that you are suffering and it makes me so sad. We will be here for you no matter what! Diane. 
  • Posted

Hi no75124 - another way is to write down what you are feeling in a letter addressed to your father. You don't have to give it to him if you don't want to, or wait until you feel the time is right. Is there anyone else you can speak to about this? Your mother, an aunt, granny? Why would he say such things without a motive? Do you think he's being sarcastic (the lowest form of "wit'wink? Does he think he's funny? Or is there some bitter element to what he is doing, seeking someone to blame and you are the nearest target? You can open up to us on this site in safety.  We understand surviving family dynamics. 

• Posted

Sorry - that emoji shouldn't be there. It's the result of speech marks and a closed bracket.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.