Why do I still have reflux?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, had my motility test results which say that my reflux are within normal limits. So why do I feel like I have reflux and can't eat trigger foods?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, I don't believe that all tests are foolproof tbh - my son now 11 has struggled with reflux since birth and things haven't really improved in all that time. He's had scopes which come back normal (shouldn't that be the case tho on meds), barium swallow, and ph study which came back normal when he was younger. He's just had omeprazole increased by 100% this last week and another med added. I'd say despite the test you had, that you are proba ly right - you know yourself best. I hope that someone can offer more help. Just wanted to say you have my sympathy..
  • Posted

Hi Julwhaie,

I have been talking to someone who had nissen like yourself - and found that they still had reflux. After a few endoscopies and ph tests - which showed no reflux - and totally at their wits end finally found a surgeon who diagnosed that the nissen was too tight - and was causing reflux type problems due to food sitting on the top of the wrap and irritating that area. I don't know who you would approach about that - but there would be no harm in putting the idea forward!

• Posted

Sorry Julie - my keyboard doing stupid things!!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Glennie, since the op I've had 2 motility tests, an endoscopy, a barium swallow and a gastric emptying test. All have come back normal. I don't think I can ask much else from the consultant really! I have just got to heal myself. 
    • Posted

You would probably need a high definition endoscopy - the type you would get at a university hospital. I wouldn't have known anything about this - but I have a friend who is having fundoplication done again - after a few years of endoscopies, ph tests etc. It was only after the high definition endoscopy that the problem was found. They found that the food wasn't getting past the nissen site - which was leading to all the 'reflux' problems. 
  • Posted

hi julie, have you tried digestive enzymes and probiotic supplements, not the liquid probiotics, tablets are better from health shops.
    • Posted

Hi Feb, thanks for your reply. Yes am trying probiotics and digestive enzymes. Have you had much success with these?
  • Posted

I've just started taking digestive enzymes and probiotics tablets. I'll wait and see if they help, really hope they help with the throat.

I've stopped taking ppi's they not helping, my doctor wants me to continue, but I refuse to take them as I feel worse on them. I,ve started to explore alternative herbal route. 

• Posted

Hi Feb, what throat problems do you have?
    • Posted

burning throat radiating to the ear and swallowing difficulty and also chest burning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.