why do I wake up at 4-5am - why does adrenelin wake me up

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi can anyone tell me why I wake up between 4-5am with adrenelin.  I am really tired so wouldnt the brain let me sleep to improve my recovery rather then let the adrenelin attack wake me up.  I know it is to do with anxiety but sooo tired.  Not on medication of any sort

2 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Joyce I am the same my dear. Every bloody morning at 5am 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩. Used to sleep till 7am no bother xxxxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I wake several times a night. Usually at around 1, 3 then 5am. I tend to give up at 5. If I didn't take my meds, I wouldn't sleep at all. Stupid question here, but have you talked to you doctor about it?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks kim and arwen

It is just so ilogical - body is supposed to look out for you and recover but whilst I can deal with the anxiety attack by getting out either to the park or gym to burn off feelings and breathing techniques I just need to stop the waking up bit.  I visited dr last week who has put me to a counsellor.  Im 58 and following my husbands death five years ago after coming out of depression I have been fine but now daughter left and its abandoment issues that have reared the ugly heads.  Also why am I ok later afternoon as thought this feeling was never there and I feel like my normal self with positive attitudes.  Lots of questions but if you can anser them I would be grateful 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Same happens to me...though after reading a post on here a while ago...I now have half a dextrose tablet...which lifts my sugar levels and I calm then sleep...it's a bit hard to do it at first...do a not at all hungry...but just worth a go.....probably a placebo but if I think it works...then it does...this anxiety is absolutely dreadful....best wishes J x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I see alot of people with sleep issues.  It is one of the commonest things that people put up with and really need not.   Your subconscious is running that part of the show.  Really try to avoid saying things to yourself in your head or out loud - "Why do I always wake so early"  Instead say things like "tonight I will allow myself to sleep through"  Most of us if we have to get up early deliberately will wake a few minutes or a few seconds before the alarm goes off. - The subconscious runnning in the background manages the process of waking you up.  Be careful what you tell your subconscious.  Try to keep your internal dialogue positive.  Waking full of adrenaline could be viewed as anxious or you can change the dialogue to "I wake up full of beans"

The most important thing you can do before going to bed is to find a way to completely relax. Progressive muscle relaxation,  Meditation, Mindfulness and Self Hypnosis can all help.   If you go to bed very stressed you are much more likely to wake up full of adrenaline.   If you practice good sleep hygiene - exercise if possible, dont eat or drink within 3 hours of bedtime, relax completely (Using the above methods) and finally thank god or the universe for your life being so full of wonderful things you are much more likely to sleep well.  (A positive attitude of gratitude can help you sleep better)  I hope some of this helps.  If I can help anyone to sleep better I will - message me privately.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, the problem for me with sleep, amongst terrible fibromyalga pain was a magnesium deficiency. It must be magnesium glycinate (not magnesium oxide which has laxative effects and liw absorption), and must be taken with a 1:1 ratio with calcium carbonate, and 2000 mg if D3. The reason for this is that they all need each other for the body to absorb them properly and fully. I also take fish oil capsules (deoderized are much less absorbed according to research) and a multi vitamin which helps my body stay in a consistant state, and seems to all help with hormone balancing and fatique.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm just writing this as a heads up from my personal experience. But I thought my insomnia and other symptoms were due to anxiety and they weren't in so I let a physical problem go on a lot longer than I should have.

So maybe instead of saying I know you might want to say I think my anxiety is causing me to wake up but then go to the doctor and get your thyroid checked and a few of the other physical things that can cause people to wake. remember adrenaline is just one of the very many hormones you have floating around your body right now so it's good to have all the hormones checked and then when it comes out ok blood tests r fine .... Then just work on accepting the unacceptable for the time being

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, per my response above, magnesium deficiency is connected to thyroid and the adrenals, which are the master gland that regulates the many hormones in the body, sleep regulation being just one of 100s. This makes it a physical problem that effects you mentally with not being able to get enough RM sleep. I am happy you were properly diagnosed as many are not. Doctors give their best educated guess. Just wondering, as this diagnosed by a D.O. or Internist as opposed to an M.D.?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Joyce

I always wake at 4.00 a.m. I there for 30 mins and then go and make a cup of tea. The tea always helps and I can go back to sleep until 6.30 a.m. The thing you could try is Rescue Remedy, I have the spray and do a couple of squirts which helps to calm me down but I understand it is available in all sorts of forms now.

If this continues though I do think it would be wise to seek medical help.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up