Why does DD seem more prevalent?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Yes - we're all living too long!  But I'm not sure it's as simple as 'we're eating the wrong foods' in our first world softness!

My theory:  Age-related (or environmentally accelerated?....) softening of 'smooth muscle' gives rise to a number of systemmic weaknesses.  I'll guess that aortic aneurism is in the same 'league' as diverticulosis, for example.  Both involve the waekening of smotth muscle.  Looking for a cause, it might be easy to reason that the use of plasticisers in our environment - particularly in immediate contact food packaging - just might affect our own 'pipe work' in a similar way to plastics composition?

Also - as in my case - I had been prescribed smooth muscle 'relaxants' (eg Tabphyn - generic: Tamsulosin Hydrochliride) in the past - a number of years before DD was detected.  This was to improve urine flow, whilst in my early 40s.  It's obvious wheere I'm going: Was the start of my DD symptoms during my later 40s a result of some years use of that drug?  Has anyone else used it?  I'm not on a witch hunt - just want answers!  I'm more concerned about the 'environmental' uses of chemicals that soften organic structures - like the gut.

Any thoughts on causation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think that there is any consensus out there in the research papers. There is certainly a lot of 'conservative' thinking ie low fibre in the diet blah bah blah.  While this might be the case for some people, in my case it certainly isn't.  The other fallacy that I have found out is that diverticula cause diarrhoea.  Again, the evidence on that is scant. I came across one very comprehensive study on PubMed which listed all potential causes of diarrhoea and DD was not on it!  But some consultants seem to confuse causation with correlation.
    • Posted

Yes, Michael.  Two key areas of contention.

Low fibre as a cause really doesn't square up.  A less motile - more flacid - gut must be less obvious than that.  As far as diverticula causing diarrhoea - the mechanism can exist I guess, if a mild infection triggers that response?  Not full-blown ('orrible pun) diverticulitis, but something to do with rotting food nonetheless?

My fairly radical (nay, exhaustive!) treatment strategy does not need augmenting with any avoidance of any food types.   The basis is that anything will fill the poskets.  It's perhaps better that it's something bulk-making and relatively inert - like oatmeal porridge made with water and honey - chased down with something active - like a probiotic yoghurt drink - and maybe green tea.  That's my breakfast of choice.  But I digress onto that other long-running topic!

I feel sure that softening of the gut wall (and other smooth muscle conduits) is more environmental than mechanical.  Cheers.

• Posted

Dear Cauli, I was diagnosed with DD about two years ago after a major flare that ended with me being hospitalised for three days on a drip.  Not good at all.  However, what makes me really mad is that the general perception of the cause is that my diet over the last xx years was poor.  No it wasn't.  I would eat fruit and vegetables, fresh, frozen, raw, cooked.  You name it, I ate them.  (Except sprouts.  Ugh.)  I also ate all sorts of meat, fish, etc.  I have never been keen on junk food, maybe eat a bag of crisps three times a year, burgers a dozen times a year...  I could go on.  But you see the point I am making.  My mum had DD - now a genetic trait would be more believable than a poor diet.  The medical profession should not be so quick to blame the patient.  Phew -glad I got that off my chest.  Sorry if your ears(eyes) are burning.
    • Posted

Hi JB,

So many variables, eh?

Another aspect of diet that has become embedded(!) in food manufacture is the historic use of 'trans fats'.  These are specially engineered fats designed to provide - probably an indefinite - shelf life, which is something the food industry love, of course.  Last I heard, they were banned in the EU, but I've no idea whether imported samosas (....prawn toasts and all those other dippable yummy bires) recognise the ban.  Clearly, there's a reason why they're officially off-the-menu, but I'm not convinced the message is an international one.  It's so useful to have fats that don't ever go off!  I've no detail of the impact they have on the metabolism, but I'm sure it's not good.

The other fat that seems to be off the dahnger list now is palm oil.  There was talk of it being bad for us, but the industry tell us it's fine!....... So it must be, of course!  Of course, the ecologocal fallout in its production is (or perhaps should be) a big issue.  Indonesian rainforest depletion and all that.

Any other ebvironmental DD issues?

I've never eaten my five-a-day.  But then, I never had any problems until my 40s either.

Soggy gut ........ but why?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.