Why I quit Mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi All,

reading the the posts it looks like many of you experienced the same side effects with Mirt as I did: weight gain despite exercise, sore joints, irritability... I quit and feel better for it. No more munchies, drowsiness in the morning, numbness... 

Not a good AD.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Was, I put it gradually over 12 days and have had any for the last 4 days and feel brilliant have already lost 5lbs as no midnight munchies the drug did its job when I needed it, happy days 😃
  • Posted

Hi

how long did you take mirt? And how did you stop it?

• Posted

Hi Charles

Took it for over a year, when I heard it was the cause of weight gain, I had put on 21lbs

I cut it by half for 2 nights then to a quarter for 4 nights then literally

Broke chips off the next tablet to last the next 6 nights, no problem

I wouldn't suggest anyone does this without contacting their to

I was prescribed it for insomnia made worse by pain, now the cause of my pain has

Been fixed, I'll put up with being tired its easier than being fat!! That's my own personal view

• Posted

Hi Saz,

I took mirtazpaine for 12 years and just quit 5 weeks ago. It really helped me when I needed it but I talked to a new doctor about coming off of it to see if it was the cause of my constant body aches and pains. Not sure if it's too early to tell for sure, but I have noticed a real reduction in joint pain. I'm going back for tests to see if it's something else like hypothyroidism, but who knows, maybe it was just the mirtazapine. 

However, just because it causes issues like this in some people doesn't mean it's a bad AD. Peanuts kill people every day but that doesn't make peanuts a bad food, know what I mean? 

Are your aches and pains going away?

• Posted

Hi Saz can I ask you did you lose any weight?? I use mirt for sleep but I packed on some pounds.I feel aweful.my goal is to get off mirt and lose the weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.