Why is it so difficult for me to accept myself?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just don't know why it is so difficult for me to truly accept myself.

"Be yourself". This is one of my favourite quotes. I always try to live up to this by accepting myself and others but more often than not i found myself getting angry and offended at others when they talk about me, Ex: my physical not nice-looking appearance. Even when i hear them talking about it indirectly.

i know that i should accept who i am but it's just so difficult. i am always uneasy about it.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Dear Van

We are all different. As my dad said we cannot control what people say but we have control on how we react to what people say. Sometimes others are out to hurt us. No one is perfect. There is no such thing as perfection. All beings are beautiful in their own way. Just like when we talk about clever. A fish is very good at swimming. but what about climbing trees? It is not clever then. This is how we need to remember. Your heart must be beautiful Van. It's who you are that's attractive. Outward appearance will fade. All of us age. Only what's in our hearts truly counts.Its the truth Van. Never let knowledge comes in the way of truth. You are beautiful just as you are. I know. You know too Van. Repeat this to yourself. 'I am beautiful ' because you are. Yes you are. 😊

• Edited

hi van, everyone is different! you are who you are and if anyone doesn't like it then tough! you do something that you want for you, we know everything is difficult at the moment but take everything bit by bit. write down all the nice things you do, which is not easy but might let you see reasons to like yourself. ignore other people they will only get it wrong. whoever told you you weren't nice needs ignoring completely!

• Posted

I don't know who is talking about your physical appearance but that is a very abusive thing to do if they're being negative.

But you're certainly on the right path if you're working on self acceptance.

I personally find it very hard to accept others when their behavior is rubbing me the wrong way.

• Posted

hi diane, the people who were rotten to me are in the past but still in my head and will take a long time to get out, but i am working on it, i am getting some very intense counselling for this, at times it's so tough! family talk about me sometimes at though i am 4 some days and i feel like telling them to shut up some days and that is truth. they hurt me with some of the things they still say, i have got used to people abusing me now, i am getting support for this. health professionals who are damn ignorant have hurt me too. i can't abide rudeness either- i think people can be whenever they want!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.