Why is'nt my breathing getting any better

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello i have been on these antibioctics about 3 days now but my breathing does not seem any better . i'm just getting in dispear now i just hate it i seem to get so hot at times sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Jayne lovely it takes about ten to fourteen days for antibiotics to work on bronchiectasis patients.  Take it easy, rest when you can, drink lots and lots of water (I forgot the other day and felt really ill) do your physio and clear your chest.  Hopefully you will feel better soon.
  • Posted

Operalyn is right. While every patient varies I find that I really start to get better after I have finished a course of antibiotics. In fact I sometimes think it is making it worse ( possibly because it is loosening the mucous ). Then, magically 14 days or do later the wizardry has worked
  • Posted

Totally agree with all the comments so far Jayne, hold on another few days and you will see a difference, try not to stress, it's not good for you, easier said than done I know. Take care. Xxxxx
  • Posted

hi jayne, you seem to a bit down just now,  I have been on antibiotics for a whole week now and don't feel as though my breathing is getting better either.  This I'm sure is down to the weather being so humid.  the other day i was out and felt quite lousey but when I entered a supermarket with air conditioning I felt much clearer.
    • Posted

Yes i am Marion all i want to do is cry i'm not very good with this illness thank you for your comment this do help me a little god bless x
    • Posted

Jayne the humid weather is no friend of bronchiectasis.  I have been having trouble breathing too.  Do you have any puffers to help?  I have two - and they can clear the passageways a bit.

Try not to get too low.  How long ago was your diagnosis if you don't mind me asking.  Bronchiectasis isn't fun and I would be the first to say so but when I was in my 40s and I realised it wasn't going to go away, not now, not ever, I decided it was up to me to find a way to live with it.  It's no good wishing for what you can't have but you can have a lot.  I have always worked, I used to dance the night away when I was in my teens and 20s, I have been abroad, gone to far too many parties, music festivals, etc.  Now I am an old biddy I don't roam so far away but I do belong to a Rock Choir and it has helped my breathing such a lot.  I also do my own garden (sometimes its a struggle!) and can walk quite a long way on the flat - hills are more of a problem sometimes but not if I am determined.  My knees give way before I do! 

Try to remember all the good things in your life and cling to them.  If you can find the strength to face up to it all you will manage so much better love, honestly.

Take very good care of yourself.

• Posted

Oh Operalyn your comment is so lovely i thank you i was diagnosed in March but they told me my scan showed only a very very mild bronchiectasis and the consultant told me it should not give me any trouble he did say to me to lose a bit of weight as i quite big on top and under my diaphragm so i really think that isn't any good for my breathing i have an inhaler which i use . best wishes to you
    • Posted

Operalyn...What you just said is so true...I so miss my old life before this Bronch...I had  such a bad day today but tomorrow is a new day..it is very humid here in Texas and I have noticed that I am worse...Good Karma coming Your Way...

• Posted

Hi Jayne Were you given the antibiotics as a result of your sputum test?? If not then maybe it is the wrong antibiotic for the bug you have in your sputum.
  • Posted

i have taken two weeks of amoxcillin 500mg and am still no better. I called dr to make appt but this was the earliest 3 wks time even though my consultant had written to the dr with results and a treatment plan, I had a call back and the dr said he cant treat me until i give a sample of sputum I was calling about this, how i have a chest full but cant clear it and its chocking me at times. Iam a night worker so when I have the chance to provide this I cnt as i cant get the sample to dr by the right time to be sent off. So I have been in contact with consultants secretary for help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.