Why is TKR so tough psychologically?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was somewhat prepared for the physical affects of this operation, but the psychological affect has been so much more difficult to deal with.

I am almost 15 weeks post op but, for the past few days, the nervous/anxious, unable to cope with the smallest things feeling has begun to creep up on me again.

Can anyone else relate or explain why this op gets to us like this?  Just not the person I was, although others think I'm doing better than I am.

2 likes, 113 replies

113 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn, I think the op takes so much out of us physically  it has to have a huge effect upon us mentally. When you think about this huge op it is logically going to take its toll. Iam 8weeks now but still getting anxious and weepy. I can walk ok but can't sit and watch TV and concentrate on a good book. I struggle with my appetite and have lost a lot of weight. I have always been a positive person, my cup half full. But not now. Don't know what the answer is Lynn please god that everything will settle down and sooner rather than later. Take care my friend you are not alone out there x tucks
    • Posted

Thanks so much.

I think that knee number 2 needs doing, probably next March if it holds out, is helping mentally.  So tough.

• Posted

I am having knee number 2 looked at in January , so we could be comparing again next year xxx I must say mine is a lot better than it was , less pressure now I suppose .but I have no fear of getting it done 
    • Posted

At least we are both having the same stupid worries lol. Just keep fighting it , we will get there x
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you are the same Tucks . I read my first book last week since the op , same as you couldn't concentrate ...I am nearly 13 weeks now. I wish I could struggle with my appetite lol, I could do with losing a bit of weight ...I have 3 weeks to try to lose 10lbs before my holiday ..  I don't know why we get so anxious , I can only think it is a shock to our body . As I said to Lynn, first thing in the morning is my worse time . This morning I got up early and cleaned dusted and vacuumed , felt better after that . A week or so ago I just wouldn't have done it. So it's slowly improving ...  I wish you well, and always here to chat xx 
    • Posted

Hi Pam and Lynn,

Me too, second knee due next March so let's make a date to catch up then. Don't want to think about it too much, been such a struggle with the first, physically and emotionally, but ladies, we can do it. It's got to be easier next time round, we will be gurus knowing what to expect and we will have this forum and each other

All the best ladies

Debx

• Posted

Dear All,

Well, my first post this morning has certainly caused a huge discussion on the subject of anxiety post TKR.

What makes me really quite angry is that absolutely noone - Consultant, GP, nursing staff or physiotherapists on the ward post-op - gives any kind of warning of this debilitating anxiety/loss of self-confidence in the months after. Surely, someone along the line has mentioned to them these feelings rearing their ugly head? A heads-up from the professionals would help prevent many of us thinking we were going nuts!

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I was like that.  It is a major op and bound to take a lot out of you. I'm 7 months post op and was dancing on the benches at an Oktoberfest event last night, so it'll all be worth it in the end.
    • Posted

I just love reading blogs like yours. It really gives me encouragement. My son gets married December 2015. I hope to wear some heels and do some dancing - not on the tables I don't think 😊 Thanks yviemx. Jen x
  • Posted

My daughter's getting married next month and the first thing I asked the consultant was if I could wear high heals :-)
    • Posted

He said it was fine.  I've worn heels a couple of times in the last month and been ok.
    • Posted

That's good to know 😊

Just wondering if you remember what you were like at my stage -11 weeks post op. I really thought I was better the last few days and losing that tight muscle pain at the back of the leg. But went for a walk today and since then it's back with a vengeance! Did you get this? I get sooo frustrated. 

Jen x

• Posted

I felt like I had armour on my leg.  I had limped for years and not used the muscles properly so it was to be expected.  I went back to work after 8 weeks.  I wasn't great at doing the exercises so having to walk for the bus was good for me, although I had to be careful where I sat as I couldn't always tuck my leg into the space provided. I joined the gym a few months ago and that's done me tons of good.  My knee still doesn't feel like my other one but I don't care as I'm not in pain.  Good luck x
    • Posted

My physio tells me it can take up to a year to feel the knee belongs to you, so some way for all of us to go yet.

Lynn 15 weeks

• Posted

Thanks for that. I just need reassurance that the pain will go eventually. My knee was very bent before so it stands to reason that the muscles are going to take time to readjust. I' m trying hard to keep up the exercises. So glad to hear you're pain free.  Jen 11 weeks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.