Why me? Methimozole causing liver issues. Now what? Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Diagnosed in late December with hyperthyroid due to hot nodule. Started 3 times a day 5 mgs Methimazole 7 weeks ago, Just had furst labs done last week and saw endoc this morning. He said the Methimazole is moving my t3 and t4 s into range but the bad news is is the drug is effecting my liver.  Ugh!   He suggested trying the other med ( starts with P). Or RAI,     Is it possible if my dose ofMethimazole was reduced to 5 mgs ......the liver wouldn't be effected anymore?    He's suggesting 50 mgs of that other anti thyroid med or RAI.  Isn't the other med worse as far as side effects?   I need help please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I was diagnosed with Graves disease 24 years ago when I was 38. I was allergic to Carbimazole and was switched to PTU (propylthiuracil)  which eventually (after one relapse) put me into remission for 18 years which was great! I relapsed for 2nd time last year. PTU is not the nicest drug but it did work for me twice. so give it a go? I came off it for RAI which I had 2 weeks ago. I am now back on it until the RAI takes full effect. I was very poorly with this second relapse so RAI is very welcome, I'll take what comes in terms of dealing with the post treatment drop because I never want to be hyper again, I understand that you feel that you are between a rock and hard place, keep watching the site for more support..I wish you good luck with your treatment.
    • Posted

Thanks Tracey, I enjoyed a long time in remission with no drugs at all after PTU did it's job...mine has been a long journey. I resisted RAI initially but now I welcome it..everyone has their own journey, we all know how unpredictable this disorder can be...
  • Posted

Ask to get your methimazole down and drink lots of water.  No alcoholic drink and iodized salts/fast food foods...

I was at 10mg x3 methimazole... then i got this hives and itchyness... endo said i might be allergic but with all the googling i did all this other meds RAI and PTU are worst for me because I have Grave's...  I pleaded with the endo I told her RAI is not an option please lower my methimazole and I'll do the darn lab once a month or 2x a month if i have to to check T4 T3....  my meds are now normal in within range... Try and get more accurate number on your liver, is it getting worse?

• Posted

I'm beyond frustrated,  because this Endo said my recent thyoid numbers were way better BUT it's effecting my liver so I gotta stop it,   Why didn't he just lower my dose from 15 mgs a day down in half?  Wouldn't that help?   
    • Posted

So when you lowered your meth,..did it stop the hives?  And work out for you?  I do not want RAI either!    This recent set of labs was the first time showing effects on my liver.  So it didn't get worse.  It just happened.  I'm only wondering if my Methimazole were lowered enough from say where I was at at 15 mgs a day to 5mgs a day.....would my liver straighten itself out on the lower dose?   Thank you for your input 😊. I have a printout of my lab work but I can't read it or make out anything as far as numbers go,  smh 
    • Posted

my liver first tes 2014t: AST (SGOT), Ser/Plas 33 U/L my value,  (<40 U is normal)

ALT (SGPT), Ser/Plas 52 U/L my value, (<80 U/L is normal) ... then after 6 months i had to go bachelorette party and drank some alcoholic bevarages i had asked my endo for liver test. results: 

Alk P'TASE, Total, Ser/Plas 168 U/L <130 U/L she said slightly higher photo

AST (SGOT), Ser/Plas 17 U/L <40 U/L

ALT (SGPT), Ser/Plas 27 U/L <80 U/L

At this point my methimazole were lowered but I drank so I just wanted to make sure nothing serious changed. She said Your liver tests are essentially normal except for one test (alkaline phosphatase).  

Yes my hives stop and now im at 5mg every other day and my tsh is registering again before it was off the charts can't even see it that's why she put me on 30mg per day of methimazole...

well my endo wanted easy way RAI until you say something she wont know.  She said im the first person she knows that is so sensitive to methimazole.  But I did google a lot of forums and Im not the only one... Maybe ask second opinion from another doctor about your liver ifyou cant read your results.  Hope you get your liver straighten out but don't wait too long.  if your doc said its affecting it maybe RAI will be good for you.... 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up