why was everyone else put on Cit

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Im really curious as to why everyone else got put on this medication. Im 30 and been put on 20mg of cit. Have been on them for 4 weeks now. The reason they put me on them was i was constantly teary, feeling low, thinking negative thoughts, moody all the time, suicidal, taking more painkillers daily than prescribed. Also i have anger issues and a bad temper. 

I was tried on a different anti depressant a few years ago that made me gain weight very quickly so i stopped.

Then i was put on nortriplyine which was meant to mellow me out but never. So now im on these and also just started councilling. I dont know where the depression came from if it was built up or what. I lost my best friend 3 years ago that could have a impact.

Id just like to know everyone elses story to see if it maybe helps us with how we feel

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello again.

I have used Citalopram a few times in the past and it worked wonders for me. 14 years ago I had a full mental breakdown and was put in a lodge for people with all sorts of mental illnesses. I was on other meds too but not for long. I fully recovered from that breakdown and was well for 14 years up until 20 weeks ago.

My problem is..I take to much on and I'm a people pleaser. When I'm not working I'm helping out some place or another. I'm also a single mum so my life gets pretty hectic.  I've had a rough few years...personal problems that I seemed to sail through...Then 20 week ago I got pricked by a used needle at work and it sent me into a anxious spiral while awaiting all the test results that I had to have. I suppose signs of a breakdown where there before but I was to busy to pay them much attention so the accident at work was like the straw that broke the camels back.

I spoke of my options with my doctor and we agreed that Citalopram would do the trick as it had worked so successfully in the past. I gave it 8 weeks,increasing the dies gradually but unfortunately it had a adverse effect this time around and wasn't suited to me.

Ive been on my present antidepressant Mirtazapine for 12 weeks and I'm just beginning to feel hopeful that maybe things are getting better.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Its really good to hear other peoples stories and to know that im not alone, i find it hard to speak to people in person about how im feeling but on here i can as everyone is kinda on the same boat and dont judge.

X

• Posted

There's many types of anti depressants.  Tricyclics, Atypical, MAOI's and SSRI's.

Citralopram is an SSRI unlike the other anti depressants.  I've taken others before, had counselling, etc etc but it wasn't until I started an SSRI that I fully recovered and have been well for 15 years now. I had severe depression and anxiety before and thought I'd never be 'normal' again.

SSRI is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor ....... it hangs onto your serotonin a bit longer before it's passed through to the brain, making your mood lift.  It seriously works wonders, but you need to give it lots of time to work.

Ive posted an image here to a link.  It's appears really teeny so hope you can read it.  I'll also post the actual link but it might not show because links etc aren't meant to be posted.

K xx

• Posted

Hi, I'm just curious to know how your doing after 4 weeks. Did your depression/thoughts get worse at first? 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up