will citalopram really get the guy back i used to be???

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all, ive been struggling with depression and anxiety for a few months now, stress and problems over the past few years, i seem to be thinking more of the sad times and not the good times, i was never thr centre of attention kind of guy but was always to one to make people laugh and smile, since the depression and anxiety have hit me i've loss the happiness, the willingness to train in the gym, just want to stay in bed and dont care about what happens to me, i've read alot of your posts and feel like i have alot in common with a good fair few of you, my only hope and i pray to god we all get well again and continue with a happy journey and safe future.

thanks nick

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi nick, sorry to hear you are struggling, I have been on citalopram for 7 years now and still have really bad days. I do believe though that without the tablets I would be in care somewhere

• Posted

hey rick, thanks for your reply, get well dude, im so gutted i feel this way,life is hard without this problem n our lives, 7rs is a long time pal, how are the good days ? are they the guy you used to be ?

• Posted

Welcome, Nick...

It's tough to get out into the world when anxiety and depression take hold. I've been living with anxiety and obsessive intrusive thoughts lately and I'm just drained of all energy. I am fighting this though because I have a family and friends who need and love me. You'll be ok! Fight!!! Have you seen your GP about it?? I am on my fifth day of an antidepressant and I'm seeing little glimpses of hope. It takes time to build a blood level, but from what I hear in these posts, it's worth the wait. Chin up!!

• Posted

hey Leahandrea, your right about the fight,yes the doctor has put me on citalopram 10mg to start, then up to 20mg and review at the end of the month, with the possiblity of anything up to 40mg, i look forward to the day we can stand up and fight back, i will get back, but right now i can't, 

thank you for your kind words, keep going leahandrea !

• Posted

It's definitely a very mean and vicious fight, Nick71023, but we're strong and having each other to vent to is encouraging. That's what my dr has me doing. I'm only on my fifth day.
  • Posted

i've been put onto citalopram 10mg to be increased over the next two weeks to 20mg, reviewed with the doctor at the end of month and possibily uped again to 30-40 mg.

• Posted

Hi nick

As long as you know and have dealt with what mafe you feel like this in the first place thats the main thing

Yes you will feel better soon just give cits a chance you'll soon be back at gym

• Posted

hi Gill, yes everything is delt with from the past, the last thing that made me hit rock bottom was my mum going into hospital with nemonia, she is on the mend but just worry about her most days, thank you kindly

• Posted

That's what my doc wants me to do. I'm on 10mg and in two weeks he'll evaluate my progress and go from there.
  • Posted

Hi Nick

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. You are exactly where I was 3 years ago, and I couldn't be happier now. I was on citalopram for about a year and also had

counseling, which really helped me. I have never looked back, and although I

occasionally feel blue (which is reassuring as it wouldn't be normal to feel happy ALL of the time)

Don't give up hope - you will find yourself again once the medication helps the anxiety

to subside. You are about to embark on a journey of discovery, and you will find the

man you are supposed to be and the happiness you so truly deserve!

Good luck!

• Posted

maybe thats my next step with the counseling fairypie, i truely hope and wish for everyhing you wrote, and for you too, its so reasuring to be in contact with people that have suffered the same, the depression and anxeity that my family and friend dont quite understand.

best wishes fairypie

• Posted

Hi Fairypie,

Thank you for your post. It is very encouraging! I started on citalopram 2 weeks ago, first week on 10 mg and second week on 20 mg. I feel apathetic, sad, and anxious most of the time, but I guess this is because the medication takes time to kick in...

• Posted

Your post is encouraging Fairypie!! I had a really good day yesterday, but today I'm feeling kind of anxious and I'm fighting these intrusive thoughts. It's tough!!!
    • Posted

Hi Leahandrea

I spent my entire 20's feeling on edge and so anxious that it stopped me living my life. I promise you that as long as you keep a positive mindset and refuse to let it beat you you'll feel so much better in time. Having counseling really is the key, as you learn to manage your life a lot better as well as understanding what triggers it. Mine was relationships which stemmed from an unstable family life on an emotional level. Being on the medication took the anxiety away and allowed me to rationalise without my physical symptoms taking control.

I now stay away from the things that trigger it i.e. Toxic relationships and have found myself so much happier and in control of my life.

• Posted

Thanks, Fairypie! I'm fighting! I've been down this road once before, but it's been many many years so I forget. I am dealing with mild depersonalization on top of the anxiety and intrusive thoughts so there are times where I'm just really scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.