will Citalopram REALLY help with anxiety and feeling v ugly?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was taking Setraline for about a year to help with my depression and anxiety, i found it did help with the depression so after a while stupidly i just came off them, i've always used Diazepam in conjunction so they helped with the anixety - wasn't long before i was back at my doctors, my usual doctor was on holiday so saw a new one who recommended Citalopram as an alternative because it will help with Anxiety, i am trying to kick the Diazepam because my doctor wont prescribe them anymore and when i run out i suffer with the worse panic attacks, please let me know if these pills will actually help with my anxiety - i hate it so much, everyone around me think i'm so confident they have no idea how much i struggle - PLEASE HELP :cry: :cry: I just want to feel happy and not worried again! also i've been suffering with severe 'ugly days' when i just can't look in the mirror - might these pills help? :cry: :cry:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Isis Nixon

Unfortunately nobody knows. Like all drugs, what works for one person might not work for another.

They do take a few weeks to 'kick in', so stick at them and fingers crossed they will work for you.

Good luck

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Isis,

One of the worst aspects of depression is that it takes you out of Life's driver's seat and plonks you down as a passenger. You say you used Citalopram and it helped, but your usual doctor will not prescribe more Diazepam. I suspect you should seek another opinion, get a referral to a psychiatrist or discuss this situation with your doctor until you understand his reasoning.

I agree with Melbi. Different drugs affect people differently. Citalopram works for me, with no other medication. I sleep, eat and behave normally, whereas with Efexor I could not get out of bed, had head sweats etc etc. Some really horrendous side effects.

Please don't give up. Get a small notepad and write down your concerns which you can then take up with your doctor. And a note on \"ugly\". There is no such thing as an ugly baby. Yes? So why do you occasionally think you're ugly? You know, ugly is as ugly does. If you were working in the slums, helping people who can't help themsleves, would you really care about \"ugly\"? Inside you there is a good person, someone who can remember the day when someone thanked you sincerely for something you did. And physical beauty is very much over-rated as a personal asset. What is really beautiful is a generous, compassionate soul.

Kind regards.

• Posted

Well said Breezman. Ive spent my 32 yrs believing I look ugly, but deep down I know it doesnt matter. It does not help with the esteem issues or confidence. But as Breezman has said , \"You know ugly is as ugly does\"- so true- You know the old cliches.....beauty is in the high of the beholder, or beauty is only skin deep......can this not be reversed ? . Ugly is in the high of the beholder, and ugly is only skin deep. You dont sound like an ugly person, In fact would an ugly person question themselves- why is it so important to look good? Okay maybe its important to feel good about yourself, looks are not worth bothering about , they fade anyway. Make the most of what youve got and then youll feel good.

Ill listen to myself another day :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

• Posted

Just to say good luck at the doctors tomorrow Katy and have it all written down ready to pass on to him/her in case you chicken out about telling the doctor about your addictions.

Just remember addictions are an illness just like any other illness and can be treated IF the doctor knows just what he/she is treating.

GOOD LUCK and let us all know how you get on.

Melbi xxx

• Posted

Sorry, how :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: that will be in the ....eye, not the high, (doh!) One of those days.
  • Posted

Well thank you all - i think....! i know what you all mean about the 'ugly' thing and you're so right - looks are not important and a soul you can live and sleep with at night is far more important. I think it's more the case that i take my inner pain out on my exterior because i can see that - i can only feel my pain, not see i, but thank you all anyway!

been a few days now, not sure if these tabs are working, they've helped my appetite which is great because setraline really suppressed it... and i've finally slept - although i must confess think thats more thanks to the valium than the citalopram. thanks for your comments - it's just nice to know that other people suffer with anxiety, (in a comforting way i mean) :roll: good luck to all of you too x

Isis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.