Will Cymbalta work 2nd time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

AdvertisementHey,

The only antidepressant that ever has worked for me is Cymbalta. I took it 4 years ago for 8 months and I had never felt better during that time.

I used to be depressed, fatigued, with sleep problem, anxiety and stress for years. But Cymbalta helped me. Once i quit it i slowly faded back into my old depressed, fatigued state.

I have been struggling in a depressive state ever since i quit Cymbalta. I have tried diet, exercise, meditation, and yoga.

What makes me think I’m depressed? tired all the time, concentration problems, problems sleeping, no motivation, no ups and downs. Just low energy numbness.

Doctors tell me that I’m burn out by lot of work. I can agree. But feeling this way, I begin to wonder if its worth taking Cymbalta a second time? Since it worked so well for me years ago. But some doctors advised me to not take it. I had horrible withdrawal effects the first time with brain zaps.

I have tried Wellbutrin, Quetiapin and other antidepressants but not with same effect.

And i have read about horrible bi effects and permanent side effects with Cymbalta use. Still i did not have them the first time.

I feel exhausted all the time at the moment with no energy. possible burnout.

Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes

You have effectively answered your own question

The best indication of a suitability of a medication is previous success.

I wondered why you quit it in the first place?

Sometimes you may need to be on a medication for life. There's no big deal in that. Don't let withdrawal issues put you off a medication, particularly if you know it works. There are lots of ways to lessen withdrawal effects now instead of cold turkey.

• Posted

I am not a professional but I see no reason for you to not try the medication a second time. 

I would think that you may need to stay on it as opposed to using in in the short term.

I know what you mean about the brain zaps (I call them brain shivers) I recently weaned off of effexor and even after 6 months off the meds I still occasionally have them ! 

Best of luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.