Will knee replacement allow me to regain my old life

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, up until the 3rd of May this year I lead a full life, walking my dogs daily on the beach, dashing up and down stairs and flying arround the shops.  Sometimes a tad creaky but generally a fairly fit 70 yr old who felt and looked nearer 60yrs.  By the 10th of May all that had changed, I was in agony, couldn't walk needed very strong pain relief and crutches.  Following a scan I had an Arthroscopy and debridment, which has been a complete failure, I am still on crutches, exhausted and feeling my life is over.   I suspect when I see my consultant next month he is going to suggest a complete knee replacement, but will it really work?  Will I be able to walk the dogs again and lead a relatively normal pain free life.  I am relatively strong minded and will do the exercises, but I just long to be free of pain, and able to move normally.  Do you good folk who have been through this, think I could achieve this by next summer?eek

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Yes you most certainly can walk the dogs again. You may face a tough 3 months or so but if you do the exercises required you will regain the ability to nip up and down stairs etc. You may feel a degree of discomfort for quite a while, but the pain should diminish greatly.

• Posted

It's good to read your reply. I felt just like you, Liz, before the op and still long for the day I can go for long walks comfortably again. I am 9 weeks post op and making good progress but am not back to normal yet. Please be aware, Liz, that the recovery is very slow. However, your words of encouragement, Batteneye, are great. When would you say you began to walk without discomfort? Without the op there is no chance of pain free walking but after it there must be a good chance. That's what motivated me and I'm still striving to get there, working hard on my exercises. 

Jen 

• Posted

I've had 2 TKRs 5 years apart. The most recent was on May 12 this year. I am now 77 and on each occasion I was backing playing golf (walking the course) after 3 months. My knees are not always comfortable but they are strong. The new one still needs icing and a good rub now and again.

Good luck to you both.

• Posted

I would say 'yes', but it is a long-haul.

I had a knee replacement on the 25th June (13 weeks post op) and am just beginning to get my life back.  As you will have probably found, the loss of independence is awful and, at times, I have been quite depressed.  I said on several occasions just after my op that I wish I hadn't had it done but, in truth, there was no choice.

You sound a positive person and this will stand you in extremely good stead.  BUT please understand progress is very slow.  All being well, I see no reason why you shouldn't be well on your way to recovery by next Spring.

Any questions, ask away.  This forum is extremely useful (and friendly!).

• Posted

Hi Liz I had a TKR in April and have to have the other knee done now. Its a slow recovery but I am glad I had it done and cant wait until next year when I willl be able to walk without pain. I have just been to Menorca and was in a lot of pain walking with the knee that needs replacing. However I know that the new knee is now relatively pain free so can take heart from this. Hope you get some comfort from this and from this forum which really helps.
  • Posted

Hi liz, 9 days post op. I think otheres have said what needs to be said but I hope you are up and running (well walking) on the beach next summer as that means I shall be too. I am 67 and planning to drive down to Greece from Uk at the end of May. The long way, through Croatia and Albania. Decided that if I had a goal I would get there. At the moment neither my hubbie nor myself can drive. (He's post stroke and seizures so can't drive until December). I've never felt so trapped and disempowered. But we'll all get there. Without the people on this site I wouldn't have the motivation so keep in touch with us all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.