Will my GERD get worse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I was diagnosed with GERD over a year and a half ago and have been taking omeprazole ever since. I’m a 20 year old college student who can’t eat after 6 pm if I want to sleep that night. I have been to my doc several times but he has yet to refer me to a GI. I don’t have health insurance anyway which is why I haven’t pressured him to. My symptoms include dysphasia, occasional heartburn, slight regurgitation, and I self diagnosed IBS. I can’t eat lettuce, anything with a hint of tomato or anything spicy, and I’m lactose intolerant. I also get sweaty and shaky when I try to eat one of those food items along with other symptoms, and I have to sleep sitting down to get any sleep period. Over this year, I’ve discovered that stress and my anxiety makes it 10x worse and ranitidine & gaviscon are my best friends. It has been a pain living like this. I’m 20 years old and I can’t enjoy eating without stressing. My boyfriend and my family are the only thing getting me through this. I know it sounds like I’m being dramatic, but it sucks thinking if I’m ever gonna get better. I’m also worried it might be esophageal cancer or any of those scary things. To top it off, I also suffer from POTS. Will I ever get better? Is it possible that this is something worse?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi I used to be on omeprazole also took rennies and every heartburn tablet u can buy in a chemist

?now I'm on lansoprazole 30mg 

?thankfully they worked for me go to your gp and get them prescribed 

?if not you may be able to buy them from the chemist as I'm uk we get free prescriptions 

?I don't know where u are from but if uk then u should get them and hopefully feel much better 

• Posted

To be totally honest with you, yes, the reflux can become worse and all Dr's will do is up the dosage on how much medicine to take.  Best thing you can do for yourself is look into getting the Linx procedure done.  You will never have to take meds again.  I had it for gerd for 13 years and had the procedure done last year when I was 30 and it worked on Day 1 when they installed it.  I haven't touched a pill since because I haven't had reflux since.  Look into it, best decision you will ever make.

• Posted

Think about it your in a very fortunate position because you can probably swallow your food with gerd 

I hardly can without the food feeling stuck sad

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up