Will nhs operate on both eyes as I don't drive?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mother in law went the hospital and was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes, and was told she would only be able to have one operated by the NHS as she didn't drive!!!

The other one would have to be done privately !!

Is this correct??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Well usually the surgeon will only operate on one eye then when everything is okay will operate on the other eye.
  • Posted

The usual issue for the NHS is the extent to which the cataracts affect your ability to carry out daily activities. In your mother-in-law's case they may think one operation will meet her needs. If this is not the case, it may be that your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) have set their own (more strict) criteria. While your mother-in-law may not be able to drive, the ability to read is at least as important and if she has other responsibilities these need to be brought to the attention of the hospital involved.

• Posted

since the ccg's took over our freedom and lives  life is a misery

• Posted

I think you will find the nhs will advise operating on the eye requiring atention. They will then review on post op check. It may then mean the other eye will be done at a later date. Bilateral cateract ops are done privately on same day by some surgeons whilst others will book you in on two seperate occasions to see how first op goes. All the nhs would say is do one and then other would be done when another assessment showed the need. It may be that doing one eye improves sight problems effectively in itself..or it may be that it then shows a need for other to be done too.
  • Posted

I can only quote my own experience: I had cataracts on both eyes. My optician referred me to a consultant and I had one eye done and the second one two weeks later. This was on the NHS. I don't drive and there was never any suggestion that not being a driver would affect the decision to operate.

• Posted

Recent changes in nhs criteria may be why things have changed re criteria but if the second ones needs doing im sure they would do it at some point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.