Will Prozac help with these symptoms??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for 5 months and was prescibed Prozac yesterday. I wanted to know if anyone had similar symptoms to me that have been eased by prozac. My major symptoms are: morning panic attacks, diarrhea, constant butterflies in the stomach, low appetite, fear of time running out, fear of dying, and meaningless/hopelessness! I know its long... haha! Any advice/comments?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julian

Yes those are common side effects, tmrw will b the end of week 5 on flu and thank god those side effects have diminished alot, first few weeks are hard but you'll get there smile

• Posted

It'll get better, I know how it feels when your mind is telln you otherwise but hang n there, ppl here are very very supportive it helped me alot and still is smile
  • Posted

Hi Julian, 

i have been been on flux for nearly 4 weeks now. I have had v bad side effects, panic attacks, no motovation, no appetite, sleeping not good, fear of dying, always anxious abt doing things, stress levels high. Just don't know what my life means. Very lonely too. Let's hope all gets better soon. I have a few weeks off work and I need to get back to normality a structured day. I hate this feeling of uselessness. Hope they kick in soon. 

D

• Posted

After taking the flux everything is worse. I hate going outside my home, as I get very anxious. Just shutting myself away from the outside world. Not good thing, but that's how I feel. Life must go on though. Hope you get through the Yuki side effects.

D

• Posted

Hi Julian I'm on day 18 20mg flu and Things are so much better. I had anxiety panic attacks with depression and all those things you had. First two weeks symptoms got worse at times and I've had no appetite motivation but things just start to get better for periods and now Ives had a few days with very little anxiety And no panic attacks. I started on 10mg first five days then went up. Felt drugged first two weeks and sleepy with my head racing. Only last four days my head has settled and now I'm tired really early and sleeping almost 8 hours which is great. 

i got some diazaiepane from doctor took like 1mg to take on the bad anxiety nights to get through the settling phase. Also Google anxiety realise meditations on u tube they really help with anxiety. 

Keep going it does get better I already feel better. 

Here is you need me 

Alice 

• Posted

Oh my goodness those are the two side effects I'm feeling! Very sleepy and head racing/zaps, which makes me feel depressed. I'm glad it has helped you! I'm trying to stay strong smile
    • Posted

Hi Alice,

I have been on flux for just over 3 weeks. First few weeks I had no appetite whatsoever, so I eat very little. I had a few panic attacks. I have been taking sleeping tablets to try and help me sleep, sometimes they work and other times don't work. My anxiety is up and down, is this normal with flux? Will the anxiousness go away in time. I have never felt this way before. I don't like being on my own, is this normal. My motivation is nil, I am off work for a few weeks, so there is no structure to.my days. This is my third depression and this is by the worse time I've had.

• Posted

Oh my goodness! I'm on day 3 only and I can already do the things I like without getting nervous or having it feel like work! I was so skeptical starting but now I'm very optimistic smile
    • Posted

Hi Deborah this is the worst my depression has been too. I was having constant anxiety and a heaviness in my chest like the work was gonna end it I was gonna die someone was gonna die or get ill.

On day 19 and today having a anxious day not anywhere as bad as before it first two weeks on meds as I slept bad. But yesterday an day before I started to just more relaxed becaus my head feels like it's settled down. I've been sleeping really well like 7 8 hours then wake up and can't get back to sleep guess cause I've had enough. Had one day I wanted to do stuff for a morning but mostly just feel depressed still but not like before anxiety has gone most of the time and I learnt a exercise that got rid of te anxiety really well that made me happy without taking extra Diazapane.

Helps to know I have it for bad nights.

I do feel the meds are helping so much but looking forward to feeling happy again.

Time patience

Know we are all here same boat. I don't want to be alone either feel safer with someone.

Peace wished for u all xx

• Posted

Hi Julian

Yes these are common symptoms of anxiety and depression.  When you suffer with this illness you don't think rationally and become susceptible to lots of fears.  These fears will get put back into perspective as you recover and they won't bother you eventually.

Prozac will help - but it will take a long time.  You may find your symptoms will get much worse to start with, but that's only normal.  The side effects will wear off in time.  Gauge progress in months not weeks.  Count each month as a week.  That's how slow it can work.  Don't try and hurry recovery, as you can't.  Taking a larger dose won't make recovery any quicker either and will only make you feel worse.  Take it real slow.  It can be 3-4 months before you start feeling better and then another few months after that.  It's really worth it though.

Don't change medications too thinking a different sort will work better for you.  You need to give one medicine a good 4-5 months before you can tell.

When the side effects wear off, recovery often comes in patches.  An hour feelin good, then sometimes a few days, then maybe a few weeks ..... it'll come and go for a while.  This is normal.

These meds will work for you.  I know it's a long process but it's worth the wait.  I was ill for 15 years with depression and anxiety, so waiting a few months was a small price to pay for me.  I recovered on SSRI's.

Remember - lots and lots of patience, and perseverance.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate - cogs - cognitive therapy maybe?  You're such a whiz on this site - I'm always so impressed! I've probably already told you I used to work in mental health (appalling memory on Prozac!!) - you bring it all back.

Well done!

Anne x

(Do you have memory probs? 14 wks and mine are getting worse)

• Posted

Awww thanks :-)  Yes my memory doesn't seem to be as sharp as it used to be - is it the medication or age I wonder.  I like to think our brains are like a big computer, and over the years we fill our hard drive with information and in time as it fills up, our computer gets slower and slower when trying to retrieve a particular memory.

My memory seems selective - I'm a dance teacher and can remember dance steps, combinations and choreographies without writing them down from years ago ..... but ask me to remember a someone's name ... nah.

I think the meds do play a part in poor memory too though.

• Posted

Anne,

My memory is extremely poor since taking meds. Also I have lost all confidence in everything I do. I hve anxiety attacs. Lack of concentration too. Basically life is rubbish for me at the moment.

D

• Posted

Ooooh, I do (like most folk on this site) recognise your plight Deborah!  I note you've been on the tabs for just 4 weeks.  There's no easy way to say this but it takes time for them to kick in.  As Katecogs pointed out earlier, we need to think in terms of months, rather than weeks, to start feeling the benefits. It took me till week 12 to start feeling human again.  That must seem such an age away right now - I know. The side effects are a total nightmare - and so many of them! This website is a godsend, so use it - you'll get the encouragement and support you need.  It might also help to keep a (brief) daily log too, so you can check it every so often - our memories can be distorted by mood...

Hugs, Anne x

• Posted

Haha!  Yep - I love that alternative 'hard drive overload' theory!! I'm the same with names - it's getting quite embarrassing. I notice I'm also starting to lose track of stuff too, eg I left my bag on the counter after paying for coffees this morning. Worrying.  My father died of Alzheimer's, so you can guess where I go on that one! 

Dance teacher, eh? How wonderful! I was a full-time student until 14 yrs old when I was told I was too tall!!  I still use some of the moves in my morning workouts and, don't know about you, but I still have to consciously turn my feet IN when I'm walking down the street to avoid that duck straddle!!

A x

• Posted

Uh huh, that's me too.  Searched for some glasses for a week ... were in another bag, and yesterday searched high and low for my sons shirt he wanted which was eventually in the ironing basket where I'd looked 3 times already!  I've left my Debit card in machines too ... oops!

Dancing - ah I don't teach ballet - it's a folkloric style that incorporates some Flamenco and Indian movements.  Some ballet students do go to class - can always tell as theyre the ones with beautiful posture and elegant arms.  My daughter did ballet til about 14 too.  But I know what you mean about duck straddle haha.  I find myself reaching for the peas or something in Tesco's and I can't help my hand doing a wafting move with little pinkie raised.

Yes I'm always using my dance movements in everyday life - pulled up, in and glide ........ cheesygrin

• Posted

The pills kicked in last night. I feel normal again. Thank goodness, I thought the anxiety would never go away.

D 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.