Will the anxiety ever go away? Sick of feeling like this

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have always had mild anxiety, but have always been able to control it until January.  Long story short: I had a job interview in January and I finally found out I got the job and now I am too nervous to start (in a few weeks).  I wonder if I am making the right decision, I will be the youngest one in the office, what if I fail at it, what if I don't like it at all, etc.?  It is not just the job either: I am afraid of getting older, think about getting married to my boyfriend soon/having kids one day, losing someone I love, etc.  On top of this, I just developed social anxiety where I cannot even attend family events and just want to sleep and stay home. 

I have to miss work sometimes because of my generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and thoughts taking over.

I started 5mg of Lexapro 9 days ago, but haven't had any successful results yet.  I also do weekly acupuncture and daily meditation, but it hasn't been doing much..  My family is so supportive, but I know I am annoying them because it is all I ever talk about and dwell on and I can't help it. I feel like I am going crazy and I miss being my normal self.

Will this ever go away? What can I do to help?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Give those meds a little time and maybe the dosage is not enough. I have OCD health anxiety snd since starting my medication 6 weeks ago I finally feel better. Am have side effects to the meds but I'll deal with it. In my head im much happier. Good luck and just be patient.
    • Posted

Thank you. It's good to know that you are feeling better after 6 weeks.  I definitely have to learn how to be patient!
  • Posted

Aw god luv ye shell its such a scary process not to mention the pysical symptoms that joins it...so many off us do have back to work issues but its worse with aniexty it gets u that low that u feel useless for that type off job ..i was the excat same when i started my job 7mths ago i felt so suffocated in myself that i forgot why i wanted a job ,i felt so low i started having doubts that i couldnt cope or i would be useless to anyone ..but anyway i had to fight my aniexty and say to myself that i appilied for a reason its what i want to do and i will love it ,i did start and i do love it..i do still have aniexty but not about work anymore ..its bloody about other things now !..but it is a cycle off one aniexty after another...but i do hope u get the release from your aniexty and enjoy your new job..x
    • Posted

Thanks! That's exactly how I am feeling! I am glad you used positive thoughts and told yourself you would love your job and now you do.  I have to start thinking that way
    • Posted

Yeah its trying to covince the brain that its just aniexty and nothing more..
  • Posted

MSHELL89 you are doing all of the right things and try to remember it's temporary. I try to get up and exercise. .walk anything to move before the anxiety sets in. Also the antidepressants take a while to kick in. The job will be a good distraction. It's worse if you have too much yime to think and worry. If you write in a journal I think it helps too. Take care sweetie

It's going to get better

• Posted

The journal is a great idea, thank you.  I'm going to start doing that.  and you're right -  I have to be patient when it comes to the medication.
  • Posted

MSHELL89 you are doing all of the right things and try to remember it's temporary. I try to get up and exercise. .walk anything to move before the anxiety sets in. Also the antidepressants take a while to kick in. The job will be a good distraction. It's worse if you have too much yime to think and worry. If you write in a journal I think it helps too. Take care sweetie

It's going to get better

• Posted

Hang in there.  I was on Lexapro a few years ago and it worked for me.  At first I will say that it took a while to set in and it did make me sleepy.  But stick with it and you will feel better.  Once you feel better you can ask your doctor if you can get off them but gradually.  

Now, I'm on Fluoxetine because I got the anxiety back after 5 years.  But it was due to my stressful job and bad eating habits.  I started working out again and taking better care of myself.  I hope to feel better soon too.  Still have anxiety from time to time.  

Good luck and come here to vent if you need to.  It helps.  

• Posted

Thank you.

Does eating healthier help your anxiety?  I tend to eat very healthy and stay in shape, but because I haven't have an appetite lately, I haven't really been getting in my vitamins and nutrients.

A part of me is still scared to continue taking Lexapro because I don't want to be dependent on meds!  I'm hoping I will be able to get off in a few months..!

• Posted

have you tried therapy?
    • Posted

I am seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist on Wednesday.  I have heard great reviews with CBT and anxiety/depression/fatigue, etc.  But again, they say you have to be really patient and go like 6-8 times before it helps. 
    • Posted

i'm also thing about CBT,can you let me know how it goes?
    • Posted

Definitely. I will post here on Thursday letting you know how it goes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.