Will things ever improve......?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'd feel so reassured if I were to know that it can take several weeks to benefit from Cit. I started on Sertraline but after 3 weeks the side effects were all but bearable and my GP switched me to 20 mg of Cit. per day. The side effects of the Sertraline. wore off quite soon, and no side effects of the Cit. were apparent within the first couple of weeks but seem to have revealed themselves after about 3 weeks into the drug.  Waking up in the morning, the effects kick in: dry mouth, sweating and dreadful nausea (yesterday morning I was gagging on an empty stomach - which is far worse/painful than throwing up on a full stomach). The symptoms typically subside as the day goes by but on waking, there they are to greet me.

My hope is that, if I persevere with the Citalopram, the effects will lessen.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Donald

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi donald in on 10 mg if cit been on them about 7 months now but the first 6 weeks were the worse it does get better hang on in there
    • Posted

Hi Tammy, 

Many thanks for your response which I found very supportive.

Cheers,

Donald

• Posted

Oh my gosh I would hate that! I hate feeling sick at the best of times.

I had side effects for a week.

Have you tried taking them at night instead?

• Posted

Hi Angel,

Thanks for your response. I've been taking the Cit.20 mg tablets mid-afternoon, at roughly the same time but will try out a nightly dose.

Regards,

Donald

• Posted

Hi Angel

That is my biggest fear being sick. I have been on citalopram now for 4 years but I am having a really tough time and I want to up them but nerves won't let me. I am struggling to cope.

• Posted

It does get better - the first few weeks are the worst by far.  Don't expect to recover in a matter of weeks either as these meds are slow working - but they will help you recover.  

That's quite normal for the symptoms to subside as the day wears on - shows the meds are working.  Those days will get easier - for me it took 6 months, with every morning starting with the worst anxiety, but as the day wore on it got better, with my evening being 'the normal me'.  Over time the normal time spread more into my day, even though the anxiety was present every morning.  Over the 6 months it got easier and began not to bother me, until one day I woke up completely anxiety free.

We're all different, respond differently to the meds and all heal at different rates.  Recovery often comes in waves too, so don't be surprised if you find you're feeling great followed by a big dip lke you're back at the beginning.  That's normal.  Let those blips come and go.  They get easier.

Don't be in a hurry to recover because you can't make it happen any quicker.  Let the meds do their thing and recovery will come to you in its own time.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Thank you for your detailed comments and observations which allows me to view the situation in better perspective.

Best wishes,

D x

• Posted

I'm so tempted not to up my dose but my anxiety and panic attacks are so severe at the moment I feel I have no choice but to take the higher dose

• Posted

I think that in these difficult times we're all having, our mantra should be 'Onward and upward'

• Posted

Neroli the fragrance helps the brain release serotonin aswell... I use 'happy happy joy joy' hair fragrance conditioner but I put a bit on my hand as perfume and smell it throughout the day.

Just thought I would throw that one in there.. as it could help along side the citalopram.. I was on citalopram for 7 years.

It does get better, once they kick in they work a treat! 👍🏻👍🏻 Keep hanging in there! Onwards and upwards indeed 😀

• Posted

The happy happy joy joy is from lush.
  • Posted

Hi!

I started on 20mg cit having tried nothing before and I was ok (felt very funny mentally and out of it) for a week or two then started getting nauseous, dry mouth, couldnt eat, really weird vivid dreams (which I still have but dont mind anymore - as long as theyre not bad theyre kind of fun). This lasted for about a month to the point when I wanted to give up. I felt so off. Then it just went away - that dosage ended up not being right for me so I have now upped to 30mg which means I have gone through the symptoms all over again. But i can already feel my anxiety reduced. Which is all the encourgament you need to persevere. Just be kind to yourself and take it easy whilst you're adjusting.

Stick with it!!

• Posted

Also I found for about 6 - 8 weeks my anxiety was awful in the evenings - felt like they were wearing off. This too passed
    • Posted

Hi Pia,

Thanks for your up-beat messages. I'll persevere!

Best regards,

Donald 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.