Will this ever end?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can someone help me? I've only just started taking Fluoxetine 20ml every morning, I've been so depressed that I'm not even sure if I'm getting worse, I feel so anxious at times, very quiet and sad...worried that this torture will not stop, that this medication will not work, that I will never get my life back....I feel like I'm just existing, really need these to work, can anyone tell me what it was like for them, and did you make it? Are you back ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angie,

I think in most cases Fluoxetine does make you feel better. I took it successfully in the past for short periods of time. However this time around, after week 3, I am also still struggling with side effects and trying to maintain hope that my moods will futher improve. Most people here say you have to stick with it for 4-6 weeks, or even 8 weeks to feel well. And at first one may even feel more anxious and unstable to start with. My first few weeks were hell, now I am getting some less anxious moments in week 4.

Try to stick with it, just rest up for a few weeks if you can, as difficult as the side effects may be....it takes time for the brain to adjust to the medicaton. And read the forums on here - it helped me a lot to see that people experienced it similarly.

Luci

• Posted

Hi Luci, 

Thank you so much for your reply, today has kinda been one of my best for a long while, however halfway through the day as im writing this i got all the negative, and terriable thoughts back, plus i feel so anxious, this is unbearable, im wondering if this is depression or something else, the feelings bubbling up inside of me are terriable, is this anxiety ? ?? Im also not wanting to go out of the house, i dont want this thing to over take me, its too much, do you just have a low mood? I cannot eat properly, ive lost 3stone in 3 months....The thoughts, do they go away, with recovery? or are they just surpressed? 

• Posted

Hi Angie,

very sorry to hear you feel this way. I understand. It sounds like anxiety attacks what you are describing, rather than low mood/depression. Do you also observe any physical symptoms when the anxiety comes on?

I also suffer from anxiety. This has really increased since being on fluoxetine. Before taking it, it was maybe every few days, but now it is daily and some days it is all day. I am 28 days on the meds. As you say it is an unbearable feeling. I feel very tense and feel the anxiety in my body, mainly shoulders, arms, upper back...like my body is getting ready for 'flight or fight'. I get worries about everything, even things that are not my situation. I am also struggling to be alone, have like a desperate feeling to be around someone in order not to feel so scared, and to be distracted. Like today I had one of the worst days feeling anxious and I had no food all day, there is no appetite so like you I am also losing lots of weight, about 1.5 stone in 4 weeks now.

With recovery...difficult to say. I took fluoxetine successfully in the past for short periods of time (3-9 mts max) and was very lucky those times not to have side efffects and increased anxiety like I have now. Some 3-4 weeks later I started feeling calmer. When anxious thoughts were coming, somehow the effect of them was less overbearing, I managed in most cases to remain calm and I presume the serotonin in the brain sort of made me not to care so much about what I would before find very upsetting. That is probably the best I can describe how it worked for me in the past.

The medication increases level of serotonin in the brain, so with improved mood it is likely that the bad throughts decrease. But otherwise I think the emotions as response to them are surpressed a bit. But if your anxieties have deep roots like originating from some past trauma for example that has been unexplored, then it would be best to start doing therapy too, so you explore the causes and learn to create different thoughts and coping mechanisms. I have been in therapy in the past whenever taking fluoxetine, and that worked well for me and enabled me to come off the meds with no immediate relapses. This time around I am also in therapy. But the medication is taking it's time to show positive effects for me this time.

How is your sleep? Does the anxiety affect it for you?

I am temporarily on help with sleeping pills, which at least gives me good physical rest.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and wishes of some good moments each day! Let me know how you get on smile

Luci

• Posted

Hi Angie. Hugs to you. I know how you feel. It can and will get better. How long have you been taking Fluoxetine? When I first started taking it three months ago, I was very nauseous, little appetite, did not feel like it was a magic bullet by any means. At the time I cried to and from work every day and barely could get out of bed. However, everyone (including the doctor) told me it would take 4-6 weeks to really sink in and the depression start to pull off. It's not overnight. Evenutally you will just realize you are better. I have gone from a 3 out of 10 emotionally to a 7 out of 10. Some days are even better.

You mentioned feeling anxious. I have anxiety, as well. My doctor prescribed Ativan for days I'm feeling very anxious. I take a half pill with my prozac or even the night before a busy day at work. I don't do it every day- but it does help take the edge off and focus more. Just a suggestion! 

You will find your way back. Give the Fluoextine a couple months. If you still aren't better, move on to the next medication with your doctor's guidance. I know you can make it!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Kitty smile 

Ive only been taking it for a week, its been hard, I really want a quick fix, but what is worrying is the thoughts I have, they are very bad and make me feel worse, did this happen to you? if so did they surpress? 

Does i feel so horrible inside, today I felt quite good, and was able to do quite a bit, but then statred to think about good things and I became anixious, praying all this ends soon, i cannot see my life like this forever....sad

• Posted

Ave been on 40mg of fluoxetine for year now not mcuh has changed for me but i am less anxious and panicky so they have helped so don't get put of taking them your not the only one going through hard times ave just recently manage to step out my door in about a year ands till struggling put it simply like this your way of thinking  is amkign you think your not getting better think more positive everyone gets better at some point it takes time eventually you will have your life back but for now just chill and stay happy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.