Will this stiffness ever go?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am almost 6 mths post op from TRKR I just cannot get any relief from continuing stiffness am doing all the exercising and massaging but nothing helps, beginning to think am stuck with this for evermore

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gm Jennifer I'm right there with u, I'm 7 weeks post op and do the same thing but the pain and stiffness doesn't seem to get any better. Going ty o see doc this am for follow up and will ask but I'm sure I'm going to hear that this is normal for these types of surgeries .I did both the left 3.28 and the right 6.1...gl I hope u r able to get relief soon...r u taking any muscle relaxers at all?

• Posted

Jenni I totally understand what you're saying and have the same question. I'll be a year in September and still very stiff especially going down stairs. I don't have an issue with walking, In fact, that actually feels better. But first thing in the morning, going down stairs are my worst times.

I go for my year check with dr in 2 weeks so I'm anxious to see what he has to say. I feel that he's going to tell me that it's normal and something I will have to get used to. I have noticed that I've developed a pain on the inside of my knee within the last month + and really don't know where that's come from either.

Other than that, I've been a model tkr patient with no problems. Let's hope our wise fellow tkr' s have any insight.

• Posted

Interesting to hear you are having this stiffness I thought it was me I can fully understand what it is you are going through I have had two tkr the first will be a year in sept the second is 7 months I have exactly the same issues  walking is ok but need to sit down frequently coming down stairs or any down incline is very uncomfortable . I still having to take occasional pain meds . Had hoped that it would be better than this by now . 
  • Posted

It's hard to say if we'll have it forever or not. I'm 20 months on the first and 11 weeks on the 2. My old one is just as stiff and sore as the new one.i have a feeling that it will get much softer but still I'm grateful. I don't have that bone on bone grinding pain and I can sleep at night. Hang in there, and hopefully we'll be good enough to forget about the new knees. 

• Posted

Gradually it will show improvement. One morning you will notice its almost gone. Truth of the matter.....it may never be like a young leg again but you'll Definately be a lot better and will be able to live with it.

• Posted

Hi Jenni.  I'm about 6 mths post op TKR on my right knee as well.  I've had a tough time bending & also had to have a MUA a couple months ago (which helped).  I've noticed that the stiffness is a little bit better over the past few weeks.  I stopped going to PT because I wasn;t seeing any improvement & I was sick of going there for 6 months.  I just bought a spin bike & am working on that and I think that is where the improvement is coming from.  I mostly notice the stiffness going down stairs.  If they are tall steps, I have to go down one at a time.  I'm 46 yrs old & I'm thinking it will improve slightly over the next 6 months..hoping anyways.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jenni, I'm 18 weeks and still get stiff especially after walking, using static bike or first thing in am. My gp told me it will eventually ease however some people always will be stiff. I have got used to stiffness it's far better than the bone on bone pain. Hope you get some relief, I too massage it rest it and elevate when I can x

• Posted

Hi Jenni

I had my tkr 8 months ago, and I'm still stiff, and have some swelling. I'm having a lot of nerve pain also, and taking 700 mg. of gabapenten a day. It helps but makes me feel loopy sometimes, along with 5-325 hydro codone. I'm still having pain also. Can't bend but a little over 100. I'm not trying to discourage you, but letting you know you're not alone. I hope those of us who are suffering can get some answers and relief soon. This forum is a big help.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your message it's good to know I'm not alone am not sure if it's not nerve damage causing a lot of my Stiffnees I never had it before the op and what bothers me is every day it seems to get worse with not the slighte sign of improvement 

I remember taking gabapenten many years ago and we'll remember how I felt after taking that

Hope  you get some improvement very soon

• Posted

I've read a lot about Osteoarthritis, and stiffness seems to be one of the elements OF it regardless of whether there is surgery or not.

Before my two TKRs I had stiffness and PAIN in the joint. Now I still have stiffness, but it works itself out with movement and Ibuprofen. Pain is gone after a year EXCEPT when the weather is rainy or there's snow on the way.

I guess we will never be 21 again and invincible ( or so we THOUGHT!) I have arthritic pain in my back, fingers, hips, and shoulders to varying degrees, but getting those knees replaced where my HORRIFIC PAIN was...well, that was worth all the other residual stuff I have left.

I hope you feel better soon!

Standing in solidarity with you!??????????

• Posted

My doc says that it could take 12-18 months and then maybe not completely resolve.  Get to a therapy or swimming pool.  Do your exercices in water.  That could help.
  • Posted

Oh i am so glad i am not the only one feeling this way!! Yes i am forever thankful i have no more pain at night which leads to sleeping all night but i can honestly say i was not prepared for a long recovery. I have gone to PT for almost 14 weeks but have recently stopped because og soft tissue pain and aggravation. The stiffness is better once i move around in morning but to be honest my best friends are ice and elevation. I am still on percocets twice a day and hope with time that goes away as well. Listen to your body and take it easy. Rest, ice, elevate, repeat. This surgery is not for the faint of heart and takes a long time to recover. Do not compare yourself to others as we are all different. But it is good to know we have company as we recover!! Good luck!
  • Posted

Jenni, I'm 23 months post op and can say that I do still have some stiffness, but it's not as bad as it was before the surgery. That's what I measure things with. I thought my new knees would be like my God-given knees before they went bad. That's not been my case. There are still things I can't do, but my quality of life is so much better than it was. I made a decision to cling to that and continue to do whatever I could to make a good situation better. I try to keep my knees moving (both were replaced at the same time), not leaving them bent or straight for too long. My body isn't young and I've accepted that stiffness is part of the aging process. I pray you too can see some relief.

-Mo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.