Wisdom tooth infection - in agony!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I thought I was past wisdom tooth problems (I'm 37) but my bottom wisdom tooth started playing up 4 days ago. Put it down to normal growing pains but got so bad I had an emergency dental appointment yesterday. Turns out it's infected so I've been given amoxicillin and corsodyl mouthwash. I'm popping ibuprofen and paracetamol like sugar pills (don't worry I'm keeping within the correct dosage - I know how damaging paracetamol is to the liver). I've also tried a couple of doses of codeine but nothing is helping the pain. It has got me climbing the walls. I'm actually crying with the pain and I feel like such a wimp. I've tried using clove oil which I diluted in olive oil and rubbed on the gum but I'm worried I've done more harm than good. The pain seems worse and now the gum around my upper wisdom tooth is swollen too. What should I do? Wait it out or try to get another emergency dentist appointment tomorrow? I've also started feeling a bit unwell in myself and I can't even contemplate eating anything. Help please, I'm feeling desperate

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your really poorly. You need to see your Dentist ASAP! You do need to see the emergancy one if your in that much pain! If you 1) Don't find one. 2) your Jaw is locking. I think you need to go to A&E! It begs the question why did you leave it until Friday night to get this bad!
    • Posted

Thanks, I saw an emergency dentist yesterday. I've been waiting for the antibiotics to kick in which is why I haven't been back to the dentist today. Thought I'd just be told to wait 24-48 hours and I don't want to be a nuisance and waste the dentists time if it's just a case of playing the waiting game. I'm just concerned that the pain is spreading and I'm feeling quite sick now. I don't know if this is normal or means the antibiotics aren't working
    • Posted

No they should start to work depending that you continue the course. I am concerned that you feel sick too. Have you had this antibiotic before? If so did you feel sick then! Some might have this initial reaction but if the sickness gets worse, take your temperature! If your temperature is up above 37C unless your temperature is a little on the high side normall, certainly if it rises above 37.5C and you start to feel flu like you need to see a dentist ASAP!,
    • Posted

I've never felt sick before from any antibiotics. I don't have thermometer to take my temperature. I rang the emergency dentist last night and spoke to a triage nurse who advised me to ring again this morning which I've done and spoken to another dental nurse. I'm now waiting for the dentist to call me back. I'm just sick of this pain and feeling so unwell. Thanks for your replies
    • Posted

Well Julie you must see a dentist on Monday. If he feels that your wisdom tooth is causing this infection and making you very ill he will refer you to a Maxofacial surgeon. IF over the weekend your jaw LOCKS you do need to go to A&E
    • Posted

I've managed to get an emergency appointment at teatime today. The dentist I spoke to said she'd remove the tooth if possible. There have been times over the last couple of days I'd have happily yanked it out with a pair of rusty pliers myself the pain has been so bad. I'd rather give birth to my 3 kids twice over than experience this again! Melodramatic I know but flippin heck it has hurt so much!
    • Posted

I can assure you that my impacted wisdom tooth was just as bad as childbirth! I nearly died with both! I do hope that the dentist has managed to sort you out! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.