withdrawal??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.  I have stopped citalopram after taking it for a very short period of time.  It did not agree with me.  I started on 10mg for a week and then increased to 20mg for a further 9 days before the GP decided it wasn't for me.  I then reduced back to 10mg for a week and then 5mg and have now stopped completely 10 days ago.  I have a lot of pins and needle type feelings running through my body, most apparent when I wake up in the morning.  I also have a lot of cramping in calves mostly and a lot of stiffness around my mouth which affects my speech a little.   Are these potential withdrawal symptoms at this point and how long might I expect them to last or are they just anxiety symptoms. My GP is a bit confused.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It certainly looks like withdrawal, and those symptoms have been reported by lots of people when stopping them, even after a short period of talking them!

It's amazing how ignorant are the doctors on this subject.

Symptoms usually subside over time!

• Posted

Why did your doctor decide these weren't for you?

Doctors are too quick at increasing meds far too early before letting one dose settle first.  That could be a month.  If you race up through doses then you're sure to suffer - equally withdrawing too.

Each increase will cause side effects so if you don't let one dose settle before adding more meds in, then the side effects will double.  You can't erase the side effects with more meds.

Yes you have withdrawal now and I expect still a residue left of when you started and increased too.  They could last a good month, maybe less.  They won't harm you and will disappear over time.

I'm surprised your doctor is confused by the effects of the meds - because they are typical of SSRI's.  These meds really do work if prescribed properly and given much time. wink

K x

• Posted

HI Kate,

A couple of reasons really, but mainly because they it was causing me severe constipation.  As well as that I wasn't overly committed to taking them and as it was for anxiety, one of the major stressors causing the anxiety has resolved.  For the most part I am in a much better place now than in the couple of months before or month during taking the citalopram.  The only real issues that are left for me are the ones that I mentioned above.  I am hoping its just a lot of residual stress in the body or withdrawal from the citalopram.  This forum has been really useful in helping me.

• Posted

Hi Pat

Sorry for the delay.

The meds can cause constipation as well as diarrhea in other people.  I suppose if you’ve tried remedying that to no avail then I suppose coming off them would be wise.

The stress that caused my anxiety eventually went away but by then the anxiety had caused other fears / worries which prolonged the anxiety.

Are you still getting the pins / needles and cramping etc and are you still off the meds?

Wondering how its all going.

K x

• Posted

If you didn't have any of those symptoms before the celexa they are definitely discontinuation side effects..

• Posted

Hi Pat you went from 10mg, to 20mg to 10mg then 5mg to 0mg, your poor central nervous system it will be all over the place, no wonder you feel the way you do. I have had alot of parathesia including calf problems. Give your body time to settle, massages are perfect to calm your nervous system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.