Withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. My wife has been using fluoxetine for about a year now and decided to stop using it 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago we have a row over something really silly and she has decided she wants to separate. I'm obviously devastated and given she has just stopped have asked her to take her time to make sure she is making the right decision. Could the fact that she has just come off fluoxetine have any bearing on her state of mind or am I grasping at straws? Any one got any experience of this? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Dave, I'm a wee bit alarmed to read that your wife just stopped taking the Fluoxetine so suddenly, by all accounts it is something that should be done gradually over a period of time, sounds to me like she may have caused a withdrawal sympton by her abrupt stoppage, which in turn has caused this bust-up to flair. I reckon she should get medical advice firstly, then you both get counseling of sorts and given the circumstances, hopefully your marriage can be saved. I do'nt have experience of exactly as you, but recently my doctor halved my dose of Fluoxetine and I've been going through the proverbial hell. Good luck with this situation Dave, sooner your good lady sees her doctor for advice the better, in my humble opinion. regards smile
  • Posted

Hi, it is worrying when someone comes off fluoxetine. It is definitely something that should only be done on doctors advice.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I would be inclined to thinks it's the withdrawal symptoms, although she probably won't believe it. I moved to another country when I came off then suddenly! I thought it was my rational mind making the huge decision but it soon turned out it wasn't. When I realised that I still felt the same so went back on the meds I soon moved back. Not before causing havoc with my family.

Luckily things have worked out but I realise that my state of mind was not right and it's not what I really wanted, it was an escape for how I was feeling.

• Posted

Yes I agree, 3 weeks is far too quick to come off this type of medication.  It can make you very ill, and cause dreadful side effects.

This type of meds does numb the emotions, and withdrawing from them quick might be playing havoc - your wife might be feeling a slight lack of empathy and a feeling of bravado - I felt like that once.

When I came off meds once it took me about 3-4 months, and still I had withdrawal symtoms.  My emotions were all over the place and I'd cry at the drop of a hat, was tetchy, got angry easily etc.

Yes I think a visit to the doctor is a good idea.  I'm sure it's the withdrawl that's behind this.

K xx

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback K. It's really helpful. D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.