Withdrawal from mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I took mirtazapine 15mg for about 5 weeks, then decided to stop as the tiredness that came with it was unbearable and I couldn't function. I am a teacher and mornings were very difficult, including the drive to school. I decided to stop cold turkey as I thought I had not taken the drugs for too long. I have had some very tough time since. One panic attack, nausea, extreme tiredness, dizziness, vision being weird. I have been given prozac but haven't started it as I prefer to detox first. It has now been 10 days and I am worrying about going back to work feeling like this. I seem to get all sort of side effects and was on Sertraline before Mirtazapine. That didn't work either. Has anyone got a similar experience? I have read some posts but none with same dosage or length of treatment.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You should have tapered it by breaking them in half and gradually substituting the half tablet over 3-4 weeks, then skipping on alternate days until down to zero. no matter from experiance 15 is a very low dose anyway, perhaps try 7.5 for a week or two then taper off over another 2 weeks, believe me coming off mirtazapine is a lot eaaier than coming off benzodiazapines like lorazepam.
  • Posted

I can't say I was in the exact same boat as you but I was on 15mg for 6 months, Fudgeybear1 was on it for a couple of months and then went cold turkey so maybe they can offer more input. I went through very similar symptoms to you so I expect the withdrawal process will be similar.

It took me roughly a month before I started to feel better and could start to work again but I definitely recommend taking Omega 3 to speed up the process. It could be a long road but don't give up, you will feel better.

• Posted

Thanks for your comment, I guess I'll need to be patient and see what happens.
  • Posted

I'm interested in this too as I am tapering after about 12 weeks or so. I have just had my second night on a split pill so 7.5 mg, and both nights pretty similar, had about 4-5 hours sleep before waking then dozy for rest of night but really hard to get out of bed and get going. Still now feeling very dopy and out of it. I really hope this settles down as I am back to work on Monday. 

Any tips on what to do in getting through will be gratefully received. 

• Posted

Hi vdesalvo! 

I switched from Mirtazapine to vortioxetine after taking Mirt for 4-6 weeks. It has almost the same chemical profile and works quite the same, but without the drowsyness or weight gain

I believe because of the switch to a very similar medication I had absolutely no side effects. Though I had to adjust the dose of Vortioxetine to 30 mg. Since then I feel "myself" again.

Maybe that's a possible alternative for you?

I also had the problem that Sertraline was nice, but not good enough and have been looking for quite a while for an alternative to Sertraline and Mirtazapine. 

I am now taking Wellbutrin in the morning (gives you a bit of energy) and Vortioxetine at night. 

I hope you can find the right cocktail that works for you! 

• Posted

Thanks for your message. I have just taken my first tablet of Prozac 20mg as suggested by GP. I am not sure what to expect. Have been signed off work for this week, I hate not being able to function properly and I am desperate to feel better. I am not familiar with the drugs you have mentioned but I am happy you are on something that works smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.