WITHDRAWAL MIRT & STARTING DULOXETINE DR

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I'm sitting here looking at this new script for Cymbalta (duloxetine dr) 30 mgs. and terrified to take it because I've been taking Mirt. for over 20 years at doses between 15 & 30 mgs (15 for sleep & 30 for depression). I have no problem when I occasionally drop from 30 to 15 but I've been on 30 mg the longest time.  Doc said start Duloxetine and we will then begin Mirt. withdrawl within a week.  I'm afraid.  From reading here, it appears Mirt withdrawal can be long with a lot of undesirable side effects.  I don't want to second quess my doc but I just don't think I should start the new med until the Mirt is almost cleared from my system.  Any thots, suggestions, comments. welcome.  Thanx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

the mirt withdrawal has to be gradual. I have just come off mirt rapidly to move on to to cirtralapram. horrendous suicidal thoughts. Just hoping the the cirtralapram kicks in soon
    • Posted

Thanx drew for your reply.  What my doc wants me to do is be on both for a week and then begin Mirt withdrawal.  I just can't bring myself to do it and am going to call him tomorrow and tell him I want to wean off most of the Mirt BEFORE adding a new antidepressant.  If I take both at the same time (even for a week) I'm sure I'll be a complete wreck. Sigh.

• Posted

My doc also told me to go cold turkey from 30 mg after 3 years. When he saw how I fell apart (racing mind, no appetite, absolutely incapacitating insomnia, completely a mess), he was willing to help me taper, including writing a prescription for a compounded liquid.  He saw me go through WD symptoms at even 10 % reductions and said he had never had a patient as sensitive as I was. It took me a year to get off and I've been off for 6 months now. So you can get there if you listen to your body during the tapering process. 

And be advised that it can take quite a while to stabilize after a cold turkey stop. Mine took over 6 weeks. 

• Posted

Thanx so much Kc.  I refuse to go cold turkey.  Too many folks here, like yourself, have suffered way to much for me to take the path.  Doc wants me to take both the Mirt & Cymbalta for a week and I won't even do that.  Why would I want a "double whammy?"  Side effects of withdrawl and side effects of starting a new med.  Won't be able to tell which one and they make increase the bad effects if combined.  I'm glad to know you are Mirt free.  I'm going to taper (I think regardless of what doc says) and it will be as you suggested -- long and slow.  Be well.

• Posted

Hi frazzled.You are right to not want to do both at the same time if you can avoid it.For 6 months I've been battling this.I was taking Paxil 20mg twice a day for 20 years and Ibprofin 600mg twice a day for IBS pain and anxiety and depression for many years.My stress level was shot up when our small compamy was bought by a large corp. and starting 6 months ago they weaned me off PAxil,took me off Ibprofin and put me on Mirt starting at 15mg going to 30mg(15 am,15pm) about 4 months ago and Gabapetin starting at 200mg going up to 600mg in 200mg increments.Also Tramadol 50mg twice a day replacing the Ibprofin.Needless to say it's been rough.I hope to stabilise soon but until then,it's no fun! Hope it goes well for you!God Bless You and prayers your way! Bob

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up