Withdrawal symptoms have returned

Posted , 3 users are following.

I stopped taking 10mg citalopram in November last year. I had to stop taking them immediately after 17 days on advice of doctor as my body had reacted so badly to them. I had severe withdrawal symptoms for months. On the 29th July it was the first day I felt I was over the withdrawal of this drug. Had a few good weeks. Then suddenly almost a week ago the tinnitus came back suddenly in my right ear and I am feeling shakey and panicky a lot of the time. The ringing in my ear is driving me nuts and kept waking me up last night. It was bad for three days, then stopped for a day, then really bad again yesterday. Today seems milder. Yesterday was my wedding anniversary and all I could hear was my stupid ear ringing. I am wondering if the symptoms are flaring up because of stress with building works at home and my child about to start school or if these withdrawal symptoms will just always keep coming and going? I didn't suffer any of this until I started this drug. Feeling very down and need cheering up. Thanks x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

What happened that stopped you taking them after only 17 days ?
    • Posted

Gosh so much... shaking for hours on end, unable to drive, unable to hold a drink, so tired unable to function, tinnitus so loud I couldn't sleep, auditory hallucinations... plus other things.

• Posted

Moomin, google PAWS, or look on YouTube. This sounds pretty standard for withdrawal. They talk about Windows and waves, a window being a period of time when you feel OK and symptom free, and waves being when you are suffering withdrawal effects. General theory being that gradually, the windows get bigger and the waves get smaller.
    • Posted

Thank you Ruth. That theory fits so well with the withdrawal. I just thought that was it, a month almost of feeling 99.9% free of symptoms. It just scares me when the tinnitus returns that it won't ever go away. The high pitch sound now is reducing to a buzz/fuzz thing again. Will read up some more. Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Moomoomin, it can take time unfortunately, its great you are getting lots of good days, hang in there.
    • Posted

I came off cita in 2015 and lasted a year, and I also wish I'd known about it then, ssri withdrawal windows and waves. I think pretty much anyone who manages to come off goes through some fluctuation, to some degree or another. It's not uncommon to have a kind of 'rebound' anxiety or depression a few months later, which if you don't know about this, can feel like the original condition has come back. Definitely worth reading about ssri withdrawal windows and waves. Hope you're feeling better today, hang in there 🙂

• Posted

Ruth did you stop cold turkey? And it took a year for your symptoms to go completely? What sort of symptoms did you have if you don't mind me asking? Hope you're all good these days x

• Posted

I'm currently on 10mg again, and will be for the foreseeable.

I was on 20mg from Jan 2008 to August 2012. I dropped from 20 to 10 that August, which was WAY too big of a drop. And I suffered for about 4 months. Suffering meaning, I felt depressed and anxious again, feeling like I couldn't cope. I did manage to keep going to work but felt totally awful because of the sudden and large decrease. And the thing was, the withdrawals didn't really hit me until about a month after I'd made the reduction. They lasted until the following February, it was mainly depression/anxiety and some really impulsive spending... I just went a bit mad.

In August 2014, I dropped from 10mg to 5mg. This reduction seemed to be OK.

In April 2015, I just stopped, from 5mg to 0. I actually think that was too fast now. For the first month I was okay. But I think I kind of got a bit obsessive and nervous, generally. Insomnia also. Fluctuating moods between normal, a bit anxious, a bit depressed. That Christmas 2015 was a bit tricky, wobbling around a bit emotionally, but that was also because of stress from relationship stuff. I think I would have been able to weather the following year if I hadn't been and idiot and taken something 'recreationally' in March 2016. I ended up learning a very hard lesson, and back on the Cit.

• Posted

Thank you everyone. The tinnitus got quieter throughout the day yesterday and ringing slightly at night. This morning it seems to be back to a good day. Fingers crossed!
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing your story Ruth and wishing you all the best in the future with this. It's so hard.

I can't believe it, last night all the shaking fits returned, haven't had them at part of the withdrawal process for about eight months! I haven't touched this drug since November last year. Tinnitus is still all over the place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.