withdrawal symptoms - urination?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have just stopped taking mirtazapine for almost 3 days now. How long roughly does it take for your body to be rid of it?  I hear it's around 4-6 days, is that right? If that's the case then why do some people continue to have withdrawal symptoms?  

I assume perhaps it's due to the high dose. I've only been on 15mg for almost 3 months so the doctor said I could just stop it whenever if I wanted as it's a low dose. So side effects/withdrawal symptoms are less likely with a smaller dose?  

Also has anyone experienced frequent urge / increased urination as a withdrawal symptom from mirt?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey ru,

I read that the half life of mirt is aprox 80 hours. Have not had urinary issues except from drinking alot of water trying to flush.

• Posted

Yes constantly needing to wee was annoying every cup of tea made me have to go 4 /5 times before I'd emptied my bladder again. The w/d's are bizarre and effect everyone differently. 

Good luck with your taping! 

• Posted

wow that is a lot then, are you sure though Mirtazipine was responsible for this? Could it have been something else?  What was your urine output each of those times?  
  • Posted

Hi ru

been spared the frequent urination symptoms,although don't want temp fate!

some people get no withdrawels or very little,I have experienced quite a few with every 25% taper or less,and every taper has hit me differently each time,they also have disappeared so to speak,only to crop up once again.for me they are usually comletley you gone by 4 to 6 weeks,and I taper again,but I have a way to go still on 22.5mg.

may be worth getting your urine checked with GP,and check up,just make sure you haven't urine infection perhaps.

hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Sorry to bring bad news but your doctor is wrong to tell you to "stop" Mirt at 15 mg .... it is not a low dose, 1 mg is a low dose but still has a sedative effect.  You are what we say going "cold turkey" and very few folk that I have read about can get away without terrible disturbances to their central nervous system.  Its up to you but if by day 10 you are experiences these I would reinstate and do a slow taper to avoid further suffering.  

Good luck.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up