Withdrawal symptoms with Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve? been on mirtazapine 45mg for coming up 6/7 years now and have found myself in the right place to start coming off them and take control of I’m life back . I spoke with my doctor and we came up with the plan to reduce them to 30mg for two months and them down to 15mg for two months then no more . I started to reduce them to 30mg?s and was feeling tired , anxious, lightheaded , shaky and feeling like i had a cold . I went to see my doctor and got told everything was ok with me but couldn’t tell me why I was feeling like this . So I brushed it off and told myself I was being silly but this lasted for about 5/6 days after reducing them . 2 months on and I have just started reducin?g them to 15mgs and have started feeling the same as before . Has a?nyone else been like this or is it all in my head , is this going to get worse when I stop taking them altogether. 

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

It does sound like withdrawals - sorry you’re going through this. I find doctors are very naive about withdrawals from ADs, they don’t seem to know anything about it. I don’t know about dosage for Mirtazapine but when I came off citalopram I found I had to do it MUCH slower than the doctor suggested - she said to go from 30 to 20 to 10 within a couple of months but instead I split it over 6 months and went down only 5mgs at a time. I would only go down another 5mg when I felt totally comfortable with the dosage. I hope this helps.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks holly-t im glad I’m not loosing my mind with the withdrawal symptoms lve  had . At least I no what they are and not wanting to phone the doctor with them and get told there nothing wrong . 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All psychiatric medication should be weaned off slowly under medical supervision 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, its brave of you to carry on. You will get the symptoms each time you reduce your dose. Then you stabalise and the symptoms go away. As long as you dont feel worse than when you dropped previously then carry on. Dropping to 0 is likely to be the most difficult. Once you stabalise on 15mg, why not postpone dropping to 0 for longer. See how you feel. Going from 45mg to 15mg, without relapsing is a big achievement. Theres no rush to get to 0, and theres allways the chance of relapsing. Personally, id stay on 15mg for 3 or 4 months, then go to 7.5mg for similar.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Birdman - 45mgs over 6-7 years? Of course you will have withdrawals. You are starving the body of something it has come to rely on. The real question is - are you feeling alright having weaned yourself down to this stage?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up