Withdrawal worse after a week?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been down to 15 mg from 22.5 mg of Mirtazapine for a week and I'm losing my appetite, feeling tired and dizzy. Have people generally found the second week to be worse when weening down or do they generally feel better after a week. Any input would be appreciated as this has been really hard.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not sure how long you were on mirtazapine what your tapering schedule was in getting down to 15 mg but Your symptoms are telling you that you're tapering too fast. Up dose or wait to stabilize before making any more cuts.

• Posted

Been on it about 6 months with a high of 45 mg, was on 22.5 two weeks and now on 15 for a week. I also started Fluoxetine 10 mg at the same time I went to 15 mg.
    • Posted

Seems like you're doing a crossover from mirtazapine to fluoxetine. In which case the drastic drops you are doing on mirtazapine is warranted to accommodate the increase in fluoxetine.

I believe what you are going through is an adjustment period between the two meds. The dizziness could very well be the fluoxetine. Give it time as you'll have to endure some discomfort as you rid yourself of Mirtazapine and get accustomed to fluoxetine.

• Posted

Thanks for the info and I'm trying my best to give the crossover time but it has been a struggle that hopefully gets easier soon.

• Posted

It's definitely the W/D symptoms,they kick in around 2 weeks in,

Try not to worry the WD stay with you longer than you'd expect,this is a nightmare drug. Stick with it,this isn't for the faint-hearted.

• Posted

Thanks Vikki and I'm going to stay with it even though I feel like crap and everyday seems like it's a fight for most of the day. I've been staying as busy as possible to help but it's hard to find things to do for most of the day and relaxing is hard to do right now. This drug really is one hell of a drug and I wish I knew how hard it was to get off it also before I took it..

• Posted

I don't feel as dizzy today but I'm so tired it's ridiculous I'm up to Fluoxetine at 20 mg for the first time and the Mirtazapine is still at 15 mg. Is Mirtazapine more sedating at 15 mg or does everyone think the combo is making me this tired. This switching over on medications is killing my energy level and I've always been in good shape and a high energy guy..

• Posted

Had to stop the Fluoxetine as the combo was making me dizzy all day but I'm still feeling the effects of going down to 15 mg on the Mirtazapine, beginning to think that it's going to take a really long time to level off and it's really been a mental battle all day.

• Posted

Been down to 15 mg of Mirtazapine for over 2 weeks and it has got a lot easier lately and my sleep hasn't been effected too much. I stopped the Fluoxetine and have felt much better off it also. Started Lexapro at 2.5 mg which is a low dose and going to work up slowly and I think I'll stick with the Mirtazapine at 15 mg for now. It's a challenge going down on Mirtazapine but it definitely can be done but I would probably go a little slower next time that I drop down. Thanks to everyone again for there help and hoping for the best for everyone!

• Posted

Hey everybody me again.. I've been down on 15 mg of Mirtazapine for 3 weeks and have felt ok the last 5 days. I started on Lexapro at 2.5 mg 5 days ago and today I'm starting to have stomach cramps and dizziness again. Do you guys think that it is the Lexapro causing the issues or the Mirtazapine still kicking in some withdrawal symptoms. The Fluoxetine kicked my butt from the start but the Lexapro hasn't been as bad until today and I was wondering what people's thoughts are.

I see my doctor tomorrow and I know his advice is what I'll follow but he can't understand how people who have been on this drug feel when getting off of it and starting different drugs. Sorry to keep bugging you all with questions but I don't know who else to ask who has a clue what I'm going through.

• Posted

Well I'm getting off the ssri medications all together as they have had horrible reactions for me. My doctor wants me to take a week off and just take my Mirtazapine 15 mg and 1.0 Clonazepam as needed and we'll probably start on Buspar after I stabilize as it's more of a supplement to your main medication and seems a lot easier to take. Thanks again for all everyone's comments and support as this has been very Trying with the ssri medications. Hopefully better times are ahead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.