Withdrawals, Antidepressant, Ativan, Cold Turkey

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I have had severe anxiety for 16 years  they put me on a antidepressant and have struggled some throughout the years but the medicine did help. So 6 months ago I was took cold turkey off my antidepressant because of possible serotonin syndrome I have been in severe withdrawals with anxiety being the worst of the worst. I have thought about back on something because I can’t deal with this anxiety but everybody keeps saying it is very dangerous to go back on once you have been off for more then 3 months because your brain has already adapted to not having the meds so it can give you a paradoxical reaction. Has anyone went back on antidepressant after being off for awhile? What was your experience? So now that CT I believe has threw me into tolerance of my Ativan so I can’t tell if I’m getting withdrawals still or if it’s from my Ativan. I am terrified to come off of it, one because I’m not stable yet from this CT and two because of how bad off I have been and how bad I know it can get. My anxiety is so severe I can’t leave my house I don’t know what direction to go next I could really use some advice!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

You should not have been taken off cold turkey.

These drugs do help...the only drawback is that you need to taper off slowly, so remember that if you do go back on them.

Tell your doctor how you are feeling.

There is a workbook for anxiety and panic disorder that you might find helpful.

I was in a similar way for a while, where I didn't go out of the house for about a year.

Don't force it.

Sit outside in the sunshine for a bit.

Make sure you eat every few hours. Keep your blood sugar level.

Watch ASMR videos.

Best wishes,

Shul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.