Woke up mid attack

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I was sleeping pretty peacefully but woke up wide awake mid panic attack. I'm nauseaus, tingly, rapid heart rate, cold hands, and feeling my stomach churn almost like I need to go to the bathroom. I've been doing much better for the past week but today was the first time in a week that I didn't feel I needed my clonezepam. I'm on 20mg of celexa right now. I've only been on it for a week and a half. I have a new fear that kinda started today. I grounded myself from reading pretty much anything about anxiety but today I read somewhere about seratonin syndrome. Stupid to read about it. Just tell me im okay. I only take the citalopram and only one .5mg of clonezepam per day usually at night. Someone please tell me my fear isn't worth being afraid of. I know I'm okay. I just need reassurance that I'm okay and with these low doses of medicine can't cause that.

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Anyone awake?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes there is such a thing as serotonin syndrome, I suffer it, simply put I cannot tolerate any of the SSRI's or SSRNI's, actually anything to do with serotonin binding drugs,etc etc I can't tolerate.

Your best bet is to see your doctor if this is concerning you, they say any anti depressant can take 2-4 weeks to work if dosed correctly.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You will be fine, just remember it's only a panic attack and it can't hurt you, the feeling of wanting to go to the toilet, just go, nature will take it's course if you need to go smile

Just relax, slow deep breathing, in through the nose and out through the mouth, relax to your favourite music or lay back and close your eyes and picture your self as a frog sitting on a lilypond leaf drifting slowly down the river listening to a waterfall behind you, if not that scene picture yourself on a beach laying there in the bright sun listening to the waves splashing onto the shore.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Samuel. Thank you so much for the advice. I went ahead and took my .5 of clonezepam. It's helping. And the frog on the Lilly pad thing helped me tremendously. It was very calming to think about. I also turned on my roku and watched cute puppy videos. That helped as well. This is all so new to me. I had had them in the past but the past 2 weeks it's spiked and can't seem to make it go away. Thank you again for caring!!! I appreciate it so much!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ashley,

Glad I could help, Just remember when you are starting to feel a bit anxious, divert those thoughts into something positive, if you fall into the trap of " ohhh no what's this symptom " you will train your brain to think like that and it makes it just that bit harder to get out of that rut, that's where we all go wrong, we think of the "ohh No's " the "what ifs " etc etc,because it is bewildering and it's a natural response to that first wave of panic / anxiety.

So next time you feel it coming on, just accept it, it's only temporary and go into relaxtion mode, just keep doing the exercises I mentioned in the previous post or even relaxation techniques that you have of your own. You will come out on top and win all the time until panic just doesn't matter to you any more and they will dis appear.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've, over time, trained my mind to think of the worst outcomes on things. Maybe it's all the medical shows I've watched in the past. Lol. Who knows. But the relaxation techniques help so much. I'm to the point to where I can feel them coming on because my heart rate will sky rocket and can usually calm myself down. But I had never woken up during one so that was pretty terrifying. I'm so thankful you were awake to read my post and help me through it. I know they cannot hurt me and that I'm okay. I'm calming down now. I will conquer this!! I have so much faith in that. I'm hoping once the citalopram officially works it's way through my system and starts working these will go away. I've had 3 of them while being on citalopram so far (Been 1 and a half weeks) But they'll go away. Thank you again for all your help and for responding to me!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No problems glad I was here to try and help you smile

Yes I'm confident you will conquer them, in fact I know you will smile

Definately would be alarming to anyone being woken up by one and of course you did only what nature expects of you to do and by the sounds of it you didn't dwell on it to much...good job, keep up the good work, keep having those positive thoughts and you won't need medication after awhile.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you were put on meds, don't just decide not to take them, especially after only a week or so. With anti anxiety meds, they can take awhil to fully kick in.

You have gotten some great advice from others here, pay attention to it dear Ashley.wink

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Cia!!the clonezepam was a take one as needed type of thing. I just didn't want to take it too much and become dependant on it. But you're very right. Meds do take a while to kick in! Just ready for them to work. I can tell they are because I feel over all much happier and not as anxious. I hadn't had an attack in close to a week. But that one really freaked me out because it was happening as I woke up. And one other thing, am I just paranoid about the seratonin syndrome thing? I had never heard of it until yesterday. Just kinda bugged my mind a bit.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ashley you need to give your medication time to work one and a half weeks is not long enough, give it another four or five weeks for complete benefit.

We all with anxiety should be required by law not to read about health matters as we become our worst enemy.

Give yourself time

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know I need to give it more time. It's just frustrating for me because I'm always so anxious. I want an instant fix and I know that won't happen. Lol. I'm not allowing myself to Google anything anymore. Did really good for a week or so and they came back. I'll just feel a weird sensation in my body (for instance, just woke up from a nap and the left side of my back was hurting which is most likely because I sleep in weird positions) but I've always had a problem with hypochondria. My mom is the exact same way and I grew up with her always having "something" wrong with her. She's still the same way. But doesn't seek help for it. Thank you for everything!!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up