womb lining thickness-more investigation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I recently had a transvaginal ultrasound following 18mths of irregular frequent bleeding. The result showed a thickened womb lining of 5.7mm. I am on depo injections for the last 4yrs (was on before for 7yrs then advised to have a break from it for a while). this time round usual first 6mths of periods mucking about as is normal when starting depo injections, then no periods as before. for last 18mths i have had completely random irregular frequent bleeds ranging from 3days to 4wks at a time, & dark spotting to moderate bleeding. I don't think I am losing alot of blood, & I do feel tired most of of the time. I also get moderate period pain I didnt get before this all started, & intense headaches before & during bleeds that last 1-3days at a time. my gp tried doing my depo every 8wks instead of 12, didnt help. I am 44 & never had kids. As the bleeding time has decreased a bit last couple of months ie 6days last month & 3days this month my gp said to see how i go next few months & if it continues to be erratic/lengthy to go back & she will refer me to gynae as my womb lining is thicker than the normal cut off point of 5mm. since i saw gp, I am now spotting dark blood for 2nd time this month for last 4days. should i see how it goes for a couple more months, or ask to see gynae now for further investigation eg hysteroscopy/biopsy? I am a little worried that my womb lining thickness is above the normal limit of 5mm, but in the grand scale of things i don't know if 5.7mm is that abnormal??? anyone any experience of this or can give me opinion what to do?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Looloo, is the depo a hormone treatment?  Have you had any time of no periods, then bleeding starts again? I had this problem after no periods for nearly five years then i was put on vagifem and this caused me to start spotting again the real proper blood, was told to stop using the vagifem and had to have a scan to check the lining of my womb which wasnt thickened in nay way, was adviced not to use the vagifem ever again either. You dont say your age so cant work out if your concerned about eratic periods or bleeding again after menapause has started. Id ask to see a gyno now myself if i were you, what does your doctor think is going on hear?

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, many thanks for your reply. depo injections are a contraceptive injection every 3mths. Ususally your periods stop completely 6-12mths after starting which they did when i was on it first time round for about 7yrs. this time round periods stopped after 6mths of starting & just this last 18mths have had eratic bleeds as mentioned in first post (i have been on for about 3yrs this time). I am 44 so not had menopause yet. i am concerned about eratic frequent bleeding as i shouldnt get any periods at all now being on the depo for over 3yrs. my doc thinks it may be age related & just a "build up" & the bleeding could be a bit of shedding of lining, all "mays & coulds", but said to see if it settles at all next few months if not go back & she will refer me to gynae. although these bleeds aren't heavy, they are frequent & random & come with period pain & headaches, & not really normal to have this especially as periods normally stop after being on depo for 6-12mths. I am just a bit concerned in case something else going on within the thickened womb lining, but don't want to unnecessarily have investigation if 5.7mm is just a minor thickening-i dont know enough about it thats the trouble....
    • Posted

Hi looloo im sending you  a link via a pm message, you may have already taken this route and checked it out but incase you havnt ive looked it up.

Sue 

• Posted

Dear Sue, thankyou for your reply & going to the trouble of looking up & sending me a link which i have read. I am still spotting dark blood everyday again last 6 days. & from the link you sent the depo injection should thin the lining of the womb, mine is thickened, so i think i will see how it goes until beginning of december when i see my gp again & bring this up with her. i know unsettle menstruation goes with depo but from my experience of having this med its only when you start it, not years into it. with regards to the headaches this only started when the periods started misbehaving, i have found it the best contraception as opposed to others that gave me heavy periods & depression. i cannot take oestrogen contraception as i am over 35, little bit overweight & am a smoker. thankyou so much for your kind advice, its helped me put it in perspective of what i should do going forward. kind regards, lisa xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.