Wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Am I Hyperthyroid?

Posted , 8 users are following.

For about a month now I have been experiencing heart rate of about 115 and higher, high anxiety , tremors and basically all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.  I had my thyroid levels tested at the doctors and they said i was normal.  Then i went to the Endocronologist and they said i was borderline.  They did they Graves Disease test on me and i was negative witch shocked the doctor.  But he did start me on a anti thyroid med once every onther day.  I have never had any emotional propblems or heart rate issues in my life.  My regular doctor is just calling this stress from my kids.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi heather,

I have / had very similar symptoms to you, but remain undiagnosed, although I've mentioned my concerns to the doctor. You sound hyperthyroid to me, as I'm pretty certain I am also. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon!

• Posted

Hi Heather

It sounds like you most certainly do have hyperthyroidism. I have all of the above and much more, including rapid weight loss. I am Currently taking pills but awaiting surgery to remove my thyroid completely, not looking forward to that as I will be on pills for the rest of my life. Best bet would be to get 3rd or maybe even 4th opinion. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi.  In 2010 I had all the symptoms of overactive thyroid, my results were borderline, but I was overactive.  As was mentioned here, maybe get another opinion as I saw two Doctors a trip to A&E and finally a consultant who said yes I had overactive thyroid, as I was told, one test doesn't fit all.  Fast forward to now, my thyroid has gone again and spent yesterday trying to get sorted, while waiting on blood results I'm back on medication as my symptoms are, shaking, red palms and sweaty hands, have lost a lot of weight, can't sit still, hate heat and many more.  So if YOU think you have a problem with your thyroid, get another opinion at the end of the day you know your own body better than anyone else and if you don't look after yourself who will.  Take care 

• Posted

Thank you everyone, I am going to try and see another doctor next week.  Having these symptoms is hard to live a normal life.  I hope that each one of yall get better too!
  • Posted

Hello  Heather:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA and I have Hypothyroidism.  I know both sides of the disease well.

Hyperthyroidism symptoms are: Feeling HOT, Feeling sweaty, heart palpitations, fast heart rate, anxiety, nervousness, loose bowels, shakiness/tremors, panic attacks, and insomnia.  There are more,these are common ones.

Since your heart rate is so high, you need to be careful, as it could trigger a heart attack. Keep on the Carbimazole to slow down the thyroid. No exercise please as that will raise your heart rate more.

Sometimes after pregnancy or stress to the body can cause the thyroid to go Hyper (too much) or even Hypo, (too little).

They should do an ultrasound and check for any nodules or growths on the thyroid gland. most of them are benign but could cause Hyperthyroidism.   Also check to see if anyone else in your family has any thyroid disease. Some families can have a passed down trait for thyroid problems.

Keep us posted on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, my sister has Hushimotos Disease and my other sister is hypothyroid. I have all the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. They do have me Topral XL that is a beta blocker for my heart rate and Xanax. As well as the thyroid medication. I had a a baby 1 year ago and started noticing my symptoms about six months ago when I would have a panic attack and instead of it lasting for an hour they would last for lik 12 hours and my heart rate would be elevated. Then I kept having those spells once or twice a month till about two months ago my heart just started racing and body tremors, loose bowels, hot all the above.
    • Posted

Hello Heather:

First of all, Congratulations on having a baby recently. Enjoy the baby/toddler years as they grow up quickly.

It could be related to having the baby. Pregnancy puts stress on the thyroid. It is supposed to go back to a normal state after the baby but if you have a family history of thyroid problems, this could be the trigger to it.

So the Topral XL will control your heart rate and Xanax will help keep you calmer. It may also make you drowsy, so take it at night if it does that.

Hyperthyroidism causes panic attacks, as there is too much Thyroxine flowing in you and it makes your body react that way. So it goes along with the disease process. Try the meds first, and maybe the gland will settle down.

Some people have taken carbimazole and it slows down the production of the hormone.  It can work well, so that is option #1.

Option #2- is surgery to removed a lobe of the gland and see if the remaining lobe compensates for you. It does work and many people have that done.

Option #3  - Is  RAI  -radioactive iodine that destroys the gland. It kills it off. It works, but I am not in favor of it, unless it is a last resort.  It would mean replacement hormone and it can be hard to regulate.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

You did the right thing checking it out. I just found out I had hyperthyroidism and graves disease a few months ago. The doctors were astonished by how high my levels were. Most likely been going on for years on end. My major symptoms were as followed:

Really bad hand and body tremors

Insomnia

Rapid weight loss (100lbs in a year with no exercise)

Heat intolerance

Heart palpitations, turned out to be atrial fib.

Your symptoms sound like those common ones, but you would know for sure by your T3 and T4 levels. You caught it fast so the medicine they gave you could put your thyroid into normal working order, or remission.

Sounds like you'll be ok to me, but I always ask for a print out of my labs just in case!

• Posted

Your symptoms sound similar to mine.  I had my thyroid tested and an ultrasound that revealed two small nodules.  They have not changed size or shape.  Over the last couple months my symptoms have changed.  The GP thinks it is anxiety.  The meds made me even crazier.  After 4 days I had to stop  taking them.  My brain goes to the worst and google is not my best friend.  I feel like I am not myself.  I have lost about 25 pounds in 6 months.  My appetite is just not like it was before.  I am going back to the GP this afternoon to see if there is anything else we can do.  I am very concerned. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.