Work!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys, did anyone have any time off work when starting citalopram or even just for their mental health problems?x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I had to take a week off at the beginning and now I've had a setback at 6 weeks I'm having to take a few days off to try and get back on track.x

• Posted

yes i had about a month off , in the beginning had a hard time with the side effects,, but now i m on month 4 i can see light in the end of the tunel , it dose take time to get better
    • Posted

I’m on week two out of three weeks off sick so far, I’m struggling with side effects too but I must persist with them!x
  • Posted

Hi belle yes I had 6 weeks of at the start of jan then went back and it was the best thing I did as need to get things back to normal x
    • Posted

Thanks Maria! Did you go up in strength of meds within those 6 weeks please?x
    • Posted

Hi no still on 20 mg I did have a funny 2 weeks nots so long ago foggy head so I rang my doctor who then prescribed me another 10 mg but I have not taken them as I wanted to see how I was in a few weeks time so now after a few weeks am still on 20 mg xx
    • Posted

How do you feel after those two weeks? Do you think you might increase?x
  • Posted

I had six months off in 2007 after having what used to be called a nervous breakdown.  My then GP prescribed Citalopram but the side-effects were so severe that I felt that the GP was adding insult to injury.  Eventually he took me off Citalopram and prescribed Dosulepin which had even worse side-effects so I was transferred to another GP in the same practice.  Since then I've been on and off Citalopram for depression but managed not to have to take any more time off.  I'm now retired so work is something I no longer have to worry about.

• Posted

Hey! I’m glad to hear you’ve retired nicely and you’re able to put yourself first, thanks for sharing your story x
  • Posted

At first when I started on citalopram, I physically had to drag myself to work. Then when I was there I was so spaced out and thinking I was losing it due to the side affects. Having said that I believe being at work helped me because despite feeling not with it, it gave me a purpose in that day and something to focus on. I think I would of gone crazy had I stayed at home going over and over things what was happening to me with the side affects. Least being at work took my mind off it, everyone is different though and you do what you feel is right for you. X
    • Posted

Hello Nicky! I’m super spaced out, I feel like I’m in a dream world 90% of the time, I can’t even drive at the minute I’m so dizzy and out of it😢I would like to be at work but I’m not sure I could hack it just yet xx

• Posted

I can completely sympathise with feeling spaced out and know it’s not a nice feeling, I guess the only reassurance I can give you is that it does pass and will get better. Everyone is different for me being at work took my mind of the side affects and I only had to deal with them when I was home, for others they may prefer to stay at home until they pass then return to work. It really is just a waiting game but you will get there. What dose are you on? X
  • Posted

I’m also on 10mg and have been since January. I went back to the doctors after 2 weeks for a check up and they wanted to up my dose but I refused. Now 4 months down the line I still have blips but I’m in a much better place than I was. Try downloading the app called calm- that’s really been my saviour along with the great advice from people on here. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.