Work

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone out there with CRPS managed to return to work

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No...I am totally and permanently disabled.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

What part of the body does your Crps affect? I have just been told I have Crps in my wrist and hand. I am a full time student and planned to work again over summer when my finding stops, although after reading some stories I'm thinking I need a plan B.

Kelly x

• Posted

Mine is in my leg and foot .I can't get a shoe on and have to wear an air boot  and crutches to leave the house.Walking is very difficult, I have been off work for nearly 8months and need to know if returning is possible.
    • Posted

It started in my right hand after a fall at work. Now it is in all 4 limbs. I was a teacher. Due to the extreme pain and lack of proper function of my limbs, I can no longer work. Do your best to return to work. There is nothing worse than feeling unless.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

I'm so sorry to hear you can't go back to something you worked hard for. I am still waiting on my physiotherapy appointments etc but the movement in my right hand/wrist is getting worse. I can't hold anything or move my wrist at all. I am trying to do exams just now but worrying about my degree at this point because I haven't spoken to anyone who has managed to get back to normal following Crps, which shows its such an awful thing.

Kelly

• Posted

Kelly,

It is crucial that you begin treatment immediately following diagnosis. I did not realize that at the time. That is why I am suffering now. Return to the doc that diagnosed you and ask for ganglion nerve block injection. They have been proven to slow down the spread and intensity of the disease. I am in my 50s. You do not want to speak your life suffering as I am.Go's bless.

• Posted

God bless . I don't know who Go's is. Haha
    • Posted

Hi Sylvia and anyone else out there suffering from c.r.p.s I was injured in hand 2008 since then have developed a severe form of illness now pain is also in leg 3yrs ago I suddenly found pain so bad I cannot walk at all I am wheelchair dependant,most recently had to have some sort of growth removed from painful foot consultant still doesn't know what lump was but anyway it has caused a huge flare up I am in constant pain to the point lying crying in bed contemplating either taking all my pain meds or chopping both arm and leg off,I am on high dose of oxynorm a morphine based pain killer but due to amount I have been taking I have built up resistance now need more and more but not getting much relief it awful,my dexa scan showed osteoporosis,I lost lots of weight now am underweight with a bmi of 15 due to have scan redone as pain so bad my gp or my pain consultant just don't know what to do next,I search every site I can hoping to find something to give me hope of some relief,I like most of other sufferers have had,injections,brachial plexus,I was even given methadone which only made me sleep,so sorry my reply so negative but I am being honest as to just how bad this illness can get,so anyone out there with any new ideas as to how they cope I would love to hear from you,and if anyone having a particularly bad day wants to talk please get in touch I understand your pain.
    • Posted

Hi kcj really sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. I can't believe all that you've gone through and that you are still suffering, my heart goes out to you. Please don't apologise for your illness, I'm sure if I was in your position I would feel exactly the same. I was really angry after my accident as it literally stopped me dead in my tracks and I felt I had lost my life. I was offered counselling which I accepted and this has helped in some way. I have only recently been diagnosed with CRPS however I am hopeful that I will make a full recovery even though the pm consultant mentioned that there is no cure. I had a one off pamidronite drug infusion about 3 weeks ago which is supposed to reduce pain after 8 weeks so will let you know how this pans out. Also been offered phentolamine which is another one off drug infusion. One thing the pm consultant mentioned was that Physio is key to improving this condition. You mention that you are now in a wheelchair so just wondered if you are able to do any exercise? Have you tried hydrotherapy as feel that this would be ideal for you. In the meantime try and stay positive and I dearly hope your pain refuces. I'll be in touch to let you know if pain reduces. Take care x
  • Posted

I Have CRPS in my foot and leg and need either a walker or wheelchair to get about. I have many other health issues that stop me from working, not the CRPS. I think it depends how badly you are affected and where in the body your have it. 
  • Posted

Hi, I have crps in my legs, feet, pelvis, back and right arm. I'm a housewife with 3 young children and am very busy. I also do volunteer work. I have constant pain and some mobility issues. I think it is possible, if you smile lots and don't be frightened of the pain. Rehab does take some time and patience but don't give up. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Joanna,

I'm sorry to hear about your pain etc. how long would you say your road to recovery was? I just received my referral letters for Chronic pain management, psychologist and physiotherapist today although my hand is getting worse, can now only move to fingers, can't move my wrist etc.

Thanks,

Kelly

• Posted

Hi Kelly good luck with you pain management ,mine is not under control yet. Maybe next time I go they will sort it out.

Sylvi

• Posted

Hi Sylvia I have recently been diagnosed with CRPS in my hand/wrist however with effective pain management I am definitely returning to work hopefully in 3 to 4 weeks time. I think that effective pain management is key as this will enable to keep the pain under control allowing you to do other things. Most companies work towards accommodating employees with disabilities e.g. Providing support and work adaptations to help support your return back to work. Is this something you have discussed with them? If it's available I recommend you contact the companies occupational health service as they will assess you and start the ball rolling. I hope this helps in some way. Please let me know how you get on and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply ,I hope I can go back to work I am waiting to hear from work for their decision Sylvi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.