Work and Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been off work for a while because of physical problems, but also the depression kicked in. The Mental Health Nurse that I saw guessed that maybe the Sertraline had just stopped working so I was prescribed Prozac but that didn't seem to work for me so I asked to go on Citalopram as it has helped my sister.

I tried a phased return in November while still on the Sertraline but by the Wednesday I couldn't cope.

How do people get on taking Citalopram while working?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can only speak about my son who is 32. I think He takes 10mg which I suppose is a very low dose bit he is able to work perfectly fine..He drives a tanker delivering home heating oil to customers so he has a very pysical job combined with mentally making sure he does the correct delivery and driving such a big vehicle. Don't know if there's any help there hope so.
    • Posted

Thanks Maureen 25289

I do feel a bit better after a week on Citalopram. I'm 34 and hope that I can get back to work soon as I am not liking being house bound.

• Posted

Suemarine, how long had you been on sert?  Did you increase dosage over time?  Very likely you were in poop-out, OKA tolerance withdrawal.  A direct switch to Prozac is not a simple matter of replacing one drug with the other.  It probably didn't go well because you experienced sert withdrawal on top of Prozac start up.  Switching straight to Cit will likely cause the same problems with the added horrid start up side effects of Cit which are reported on this forum.

The more you switch these drugs around, the more sensitized your nervous system becomes - called kindling. It is a dangerous game.  I am not a doctor but I have learned a lot about these drugs and the problems with withdrawal since I went through a horrid protracted WD from Effexor a year ago.  

It is possible that a slow taper off of sert will give you relief.  One way or the other you should do a slow taper so that your nervous system can gradually get used functioning with less and less of the drug.  You can either see how you do without or gradually begin a new one, but as I said, a lot of people who have switched drugs around over time find that they can no longer handle any of them.

See the topic Reducing ADs using a 10% withdrawal method in this thread:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

That will take you to a forum where you can ask experienced folks what might be the next best step.  They are more experienced than most of these doctors when it comes to tolerance withdrawal.

• Posted

Hi betsy0603

I was on Setraline for 7 years, trying to find the right dose. 150mg in the end really worked for me and I felt like myself again but maybe my body got too used to it. My sister has been on Citalopram for a year and it has really helped her so I hope it helps me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.