Work and failure anxiety.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I feel like I've failed in my first half term teaching this year, I've been reassured it isn't that bad but I can't shake the feeling and I wake up everyday wanting the contract, which is until March, to be over. I have made amends to improve my practice for next term but live with constant feelings of shame over what I perceive to be my terrible teaching so far and fear that the children will fail and I will be 'found out' and told off. I've never suffered with anxiety before I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and have never felt a failure in my job before. A little reassurance that it gets better is what I am looking for and any tips to coping, especially as I wake up with worries already formed in my mind which take over and make me hot and breathless. Many thanks to anyone bothering to read this far!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

rachel

Try Breathing Exersises and Relaxation Techniques, talk to your GP or get a book on Amazon for the latter

It is no good doing yourself down you are trained and this is your first year, you are just need to gain confidence  and this will  just take time. I used to do youthwork and when I qualified I had problems relating to the kids, it took time and I made some real errors, This lasted for the first twelve months unitl I was able to make my way I was then taking my own groups and I gained confidnce.

Give yourself a break and be kind and understand your needs and expectations.

Eventually I was given my own club and I was dealing and managing adult nightclasses. and it was a shame when I had to move on

Please do not worry it takes time to apply what you have learned.

Good Luck, we are here to help you

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Thank you so much, I needed to hear that and I feel better than I have in days now I know someone knows how I'm feeling and cared enough to respond. I will just continue going forward and make huge efforts to make sure I'm proud of what I do in hrs coming half term. Thanks again!

• Posted

Rachel you are clearly an intelligent woman. You don't just become a teacher without having to have worked very hard! Be kind to yourself. You clearly are also very caring and want the children to do well.

Try take some time each day to yourself even if it's 2 minutes and think of one thing which you are lucky for. I usually think of my car - I worked hard to earn the money to buy that car. Not everyone can afford a car. Someone else went to work to support their family in order to make my car. See how many things I can find to appreciate in my car when I take the time. The positive thoughts will do you good and distract you from your negativity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.