work related stress

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been stressed at work for about nine months and my team manager has also been stresses, I am currently under kings college hospital where my heart is being monitored and I have a heart monitor implanted. The stress only began when my company had a restructure and we were all given different jobs. This change in jobs happened about four months after my heart implant. Up to now I have just coped at work but recently my team manager moved to another job due to stress and I now have a new manager who I have to support until they are trained up. I told my company in January that i could not continue but so far nothing has changed. I went to my doctor who signed me off for one week but I don't think that will help. I can't sleep I am feeling very low and I don't know what to do for the best. Can anyone help.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

The only advice I would offer you is to 1) take written notes of your discussions regarding the level of stress your occupation is giving you to other people. Just try to be as crystal clear with the issues affecting to you so that there won't be the claim that no one was aware of your unhappiness! 2) If you know in your heart that one week isn't enough then obtain as much support from others to push your gp to extend your leave. The nhs can vary as I'm sure you know, so it might also be an idea to change your gp and provide him/ her with the history of your current situation. 3) Remember that we all live only once and with 'work' unfortunately we can be easily replaced by someone else, but our friends and families can't resurrect us.

I have had a situation similar to your experience and have learned the hard way. Try and sort it out asap. I'm thinking that your difficulty sleeping is likely to be a result of over thinking. Try to establish a "bedtime" routine such as putting "work" aside at least an hour before you try to sleep. I find it helpful to make a list of things I need or want to do the following day. Turn off and keep away from electronic devices when you think it's bedtime as they do affect the human brain. You might find it helpful to then have a shower/bath with aromatherapy candles or room sprays. I've been told that yoga can work for some people or having ambient music playing. I wish you luck. Carpe diem!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for all your help and advice Bastet, I will try some of your tips, I went for a swim today which helped a lot and my company have booked for me to see occ health for a chat and assesment. I think the answer is for them to take off some of this stress and share the work load. I have made a decision that if things don't improve in the next few months I will sell my house and move on to a less stressed job. Life is too short. Thanksagain x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm pleased to hear that at least one person has found my own experiences helpful. I can't stress enough the importance of dealing with work pressures before it induces a brain haemorrhage, because if you survive it it's almost 100 percent certain you'll be a changed person. My 'hard way' of learning this is through the horror of having a stress induced haemorrhage which meant that I was in hospital for a year.

When I came through the trauma I emerged from being a linguist to having to learn how to talk, walk etc. I didn't recognise my husband much less my family. I went through a phase of having to take haloperidol which is a kind of sedative/antipsychotic as I was trying to escape and had become abusive and aggressive to people. In essence I became the kind of person I was trying to manage in my job as a school improvement officer. I'm still on anti-seizure medication and have regular rehabilitation meetings with my consultant. No-one wants to find themselves reduced to that state so my advice is to make the choice to find a way of improving things quickly or escaping. Carpe diem!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to go through that and it's scary what stress can do to the body. I hope that I can sort it and get back to work and be my normal self. The doctor saw me on Friday and said that he can see an improvement which I agreed with and my blood pressure has gone down a bit, so he has said to stay at home for a further week and he wants to see me Friday again. I do feel that I am on the right road and my husband and I have said if things don't change when I go back to work then we will move to Eastbourne and downsize and get a less stressful job. I wish you all the best with your health and happiness in the future and thanks again for sharing and caring. X
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's a really frustrating thing when nothing seems to change / help. I have suffered from insomnia, stress, etc, and wasn't offered anything but pills and more pills. In my experience meds make problems worse long-term. I went down the alternative medicine route and was amazed at how it changed my life. I subsequently became a yoga teacher, and am training to be an acupuncturist because I want to pass on what was given to me - health and happiness. Thinking outside the box can really help sometimes, and just because doctors can't seem to help, doesn't mean there isn't other help and solutions out there. If this speaks to you at all, and you're still suffering, there is hope and a solution for you somewhere if you look in the right places. If not, then I just wish you all the best.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up