Work Related Stress and Depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

To cut a long story short I 'burnt out' a week before Christmas. I was already on antidepressants and these have not been increased. GP very supportive but wants to see work putting things in place to help me. I'm an experienced teacher but suddenly (well the warning signs were there but I trudged on) after a bullying incident from a parent I crashed. Completely. So much so I couldn't move physically for 24 hours. Still signed off and trying to deal with one task a day but I'm really struggling. I have had 2 physical relapses since. Constant state of anxiety, Sleepless nights. Headaches, constant back pain. From doing a job that requires so much juggling I just cannot face more than one or two domestic tasks a day.. Decision making virtually impossible. I have managed a walk but terrified of public places really. How long will it take to recover from this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey there...the same thing happened to me last June...everything you described rings so true with me...i was completely burnt out and like you I found it so hard to cope with everyday life afterwards....all I can say is please know it does get better...i really was a mess for a few months but it did gradually improve and by November I was back at work and doing much better...it takes time for your body and mind to heal so don't put any pressure on yourself to go back until your better xxx

• Posted

I'm currently in a very similar position. I managed 4 days in September before doctor signed me off and I haven't been back since! It's something that can only take time. My head referred me to Occupational Health. You can ask your work place to do the same thing. They can help to make things easier and put things in place to assist your return to work, if that's what you want. I'm sorry to say that there isn't a specific amount of time that it takes to get better. It cannot be predicted you just have to look after yourself and take as long as you need.

• Posted

Sally, a good chance for you to remain under the crushing weight and let your patience and humility grow, your patience can grow endlessly believe me - this could go on for a while yet. The whole of 2018 was a crushing weight for me, I must have lost 150-200 days of struggle/suffering.

Please accept your horrible situation, there is little else you can do.

Set mini realistic targets such as doing the housework for an hour and stick to it whatever it takes, until you are virtually dropping, mentally very painful, be prepared for that and don't be surprised it is painful, but take your rest when you need to - you'll surprise yourself how much you can take.

Please let me know how you get on

cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Sally, even though i am not a teacher i have worked in schools before and are now going back

I am quite scared. What has happened to education why can't teachers does teach? What is all the red tape nonsense? You didn't ask to be adnin staff, social workers, parents to children other than your own or doctors or anything else. Teaching is what you should be doing. I think i am mad going back, but have to for money. Take your time stress is the biggest thing now putting people off teaching, i wouldn't blame you if you're off. It sadly sounds like you've had a breakdown, good luck recovering. Parents are so unpredictable, i wish in the time they had their children with them they would parent them.

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I seem to be experiencing a lot of physical pain: back, hip, knee. I try to keep moving. It is so hard at times and better at others. I know I am not alone. I have managed to keep going in this job for 28 years but its as if my whole body has given up on it. I have to go back as I cannot afford to give up. i have a young son to think about and mortgage to pay. I do take comfort in hearing how others have come through it. Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.