Work threatening the sack..

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience as to what I have today.

I've been suffering with depression and anxiety since I was 14, and I finally got help last summer, where I also found out I have psychosis.

Long story short, I'm only getting around 2hrs sleep a night, and I'm still trying to find medications that work for my conditions - which are crippling.

I work in the NHS and I've been signed off work since the end of Feb. I had another meeting with the health and wellbeing department today (NHS trust policy), and they are saying if I don't return to work at the end of my current sick note.. Then they will look at redeploying me into a less paid roll or to get rid of me all together. My current sick note expires 11th May.

Can anyone offer any help or advice on how to handle this? My workplace aren't supporting my recovery at all.

Thank you for any comments

Rachael

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rachael I too work for the NHS I'm on my 3rd week of sick for depression. I too feel the pressure to go back to work even though I know I'm not ready. You would think working for the health service they would be understanding. I have been considering handing my notice in until I am better then try and get another job so it doesn't look like I have had a lot of time of sick. Not that I can afford that. Private message me if you like. I would be interested to know the process you have been through with your trust. I am writing on my phone so cannot actually see what I am writing so hope it makes sense. I have had depression for 20 years since I was 15 but this the worse I have felt in a long time. Previously I have hidden mmy depression from work. Sue
  • Posted

Hi Rachael, it sounds like you need the advise of a solicitor as if you have psychosis you should fall within the definition of having a disability as such to fire you or change your job would be discrimination.

See a solicitor who deals with employment law.

Neil 

• Posted

Thank you for your responses everyone. I have spoken with several professional services today and taken advice. I have another meeting with work tomorrow to highlight my knew understanding of my rights and also to disclose some more information about my condition to them.

Thanks again

• Posted

Well done Rachael.

Please keep us informed of how you go on.

• Posted

Agree. Please keep us updated, as its mentally good for us to see a resolution!
  • Posted

Hi from what I have heard the NHS are totally inadequate in dealing with illness (like the civil service where I worked).   Are you in a union?   If so speak to them.   Have they referred you to occupational health?   Have they made any reasonable adjustments for you to help you cope?  And lastly have you been there 2 years or more coz you do have rights.  If less than that they are within their rights to get rid of you.

You don't get dismissed for illness but because you aren't fulfilling your contract.  I was sacked from the Civil Service for that reason. 

I hope it works out for you,  and please let us know. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.